Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent yesterday rearranging my 40 gal N. Pulcher tank, add more opportunities for caves, and adding live plants. It looked great when I was done. I also added a circulating pump to keep a current flowing over the bottom and help to eliminate or reduce buildup between vacuuming. Some of this involved rearrangine electrical connections. When I awoke this morning, I discovered that half the tank emptied itself onto my office floor and it seemed like it was still leaking. I couldn't figure it out, I was just panicked and trying to get the mess cleaned up. As best I can figure, I think I might have hooked the disconnect valve on top of my Rena XP when rearranging the electrical wires and loosened it.

Finally got everything cleaned up and the tank refilled. It's been ok all day so far. I have to go away overnight tomorrow and am somewhat concerned.

Oh well.

I'm just hoping my laminate floor hasn't been ruined. I'll know in a few days whether or not its going to buckle.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bearwithfish said:
oh that is a pain !!!!!!! but now that you are up and running can we see a pic? lol
I'll try to get one up this weekend!

·
Registered
431 Posts
The laminate should be alright, as it usually takes a steady leak over a long period of time to get it to stain, warp or buckle.

I can't help you out on why the tank leaked though, you have to figure that out yourself. :p

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think.... AND THIS SHOULD SERVE AS A HEADS-UP TO OTHERS ....that I may have knocked the realease valve for the intake-outlet tubes slightly ajar when I was moving things around down there and rearranging electrical cords. Others should be careful of this and learn from my carelessness.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
So you think you accidentally knocked the quick release lever enough to start leaking? How low does the intake go? I'm assuming at least half way the depth of the tank?

I woke up one morning to find the seam on a 20g tall had sprung a leak and I had a drip-drip leak 15 gallons onto the carpet of my apt. I was 2nd story too. I quietly cleaned it up, bought a new 20g, and moved out. lol. I'm kidding, I was there for a few more years, but I was worried it leaked into my downstairs neighbors.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I unplugged a air stone with out a check valve and went to sleep. I woke up to about 15 gallons on the floor. I could not figure it out at first how the water got out then I remembered I forgot the check valve. The little air pump still works fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts