Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 235 gallon tank that has been running with fish in it since aug. this morning i happened to flip on the lights before the timer just to peek and there was an army of snails on my glass.... i just lost a battle against them a few months ago in a planted fry tank and ended up shutting it down and letting them dry up. My 235 is plumbed in and i am very worried about the pvc housing all the little guys. other then copper safe (i do have a clown loach in there) what can i do? i have 5 of my females holding and don't want to lose any of their clutch.

thank-you!

Rebecca

·
Registered
82 Posts
A guy i work with told me he got a goldfish that got every last one of them. Nothing special. Just a freeder gold fish? *** never done it but he said it worked really well

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i would be worried about my adult cichlids eating them, what did your friend have in their tank?
i am looking at assassin snails, i have to see if there are any in my city.
not sure who will clean the pipes into my sump!

G

·
at the chain petstores they put big goldfish in any tank that has snails but yea your cichlids would merk a goldfish.. i would think that anything other than mbuna would eat the snails or a big loach... not sure what would get them out of the plumbing thou

·
Registered
697 Posts
+1 on the assasin snails

Also, depending on the other residents of your tank, there are a couple freshwater puffers that could work.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i used to keep puffers, and would love to toss a few in, they were pretty nasty some days, and i don't want to put that stress on my fish. i have already called all of the fish stores in the city and have posted a want ad on kijiji for the assassin snails. once i get some, would they go into my overflow and pvc? i don't want to think i have rid the tank of them just to find out they have taken up camp and will re bloom.

also with the feeding less, would they die out before my fish got really hungry? when i had a bit of an algae bloom a few months ago I left the lights off the tank for 4 days and put towels around it so no light got in. it worked great on the algae and the fish didn't seem worse for wear. should i try that again?

·
Registered
374 Posts
Assassin snails might work, or they might not. I've heard they like some snails, but not all snails. A friend of mine with a bad outbreak used a cucumber trap. He just placed some weighted cucumber on a plate in the tank overnight, pulled it out covered in snails the next morning. After just 3 or 4 nights, his snail problem was much, much better. This might also be a good way to lure them out of the plumbing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just tried the cucumber trap... i have 5 Venestus and 2 VC-10 milomo. they thought it was a special treat for them.... :lol:
still waiting on the assassin snails, a lfs said they could get me some next week.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
beccam said:
just tried the cucumber trap... i have 5 Venestus and 2 VC-10 milomo. they thought it was a special treat for them.... :lol:
still waiting on the assassin snails, a lfs said they could get me some next week.
Just a suggestion, but what if you take a plastic soda bottle and put holes in it only big enough for the snails to get through but not your fish, and put the cucumber in there? maybe it would work? idk, fortunetly I've never had the snail problem in my tanks I don't know what I'd do it I did.

G

·
+1
Just a suggestion, but what if you take a plastic soda bottle and put holes in it only big enough for the snails to get through but not your fish, and put the cucumber in there?
thats a great idea... you must watch that show billy the exterminator alot lol

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i picked up 10 more clown's and 11 assassin snails. the assassins were one of the coolest things i have ever watched go through my tank! so far no signs of any pest snails!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts