Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Really bad day today :(

Okay, so i have a baby tank (2fter standard) which HAD in it 9 electric yellow babies (2cm) and about 25 (forgot the name) (3-4cm).
The tank was looking pretty nasty so i decided to do a thorough clean. Thinking back, it was 2 buckets full. The level was down when i started so filled it back up with 3 buckets. Here are some things i remember:

I used toilet paper to clean the inside sides of the tank. This was when i had taken 2 bucketfuls out of the tank. I tried not to get any in the water but noticed small pieces had.

The water i filled it back up with was quite a bit colder. The tank was 24 degrees Celsius before and about 22 degrees Celsius after.

The water i filled it back up with was straight from the tap. There was a little bit of my ACE left, but noticed it expired last September so didn't bother adding it in. The pH was very similar to the tank water.

Okay so after filling the tank up i was initially concerned by the temp so watched for a couple minutes and the fish seemed fine. Came back no more than 30 minutes later and they were all breathing very deeply. I noticed an electric yellow was having trouble staying up and was falling to his side a bit. I got panicky here and wasn't sure if i should a) Move all to the big cichlid tank (different conditions though) b) take out half the water and fill up with good water form the big cichlid tank or c) let them try brave through it.
I moved them all to a bucket filled with water from the main cichlid tank. I think this was the best thing to do but long story short, out of them all i know have 7 (forgot the name) cichlids left in the bucket and they seem to be recovering well. No electric's though which i'm deeply sad about :(

Now i start the mess of trying to get the baby tank up and running again so i can get those 7 back into their home. I think the best thing to do would be to take out most or all of the water and fill directly from the main cichlids tank. What i ask of you is should i do that? Also, of the three things i noticed, what do you think most likely caused it? They all went down within an hour...

I really appreciate the help guys. Thank you all :(

EDIT: I've found one that is still in the tank. Should i take him and add him to the others in the bucket, even though the shock of a water change might kill him? (He seems to be coping now)

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
Sorry for your losses. :(

What is ACE? Did you add dechlor?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ace is the dechlorinator. Only two touch guys made it in the end and they are big enough for the main tank so added them in there and they've fully recovered. I'm so annoyed at myself because i usually take a lot of care with water changes...especially with the baby tank. I'm guessing a combination of the colder water and no dechlorinator messed the lil guys up. Thanks for trying to help but i guess theres nothing left i can do now that the two are fine. Just a learning curve for next time that expired dechlorinator is better than none! (preferably non-expired though!)

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
Yes chlorine will kill fish pretty fast.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts