Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having issues with my Aqueon 1250 pump with a loud humming noise which was driving me nuts so I decided to replace it with a Koralia 1050 and wow I am extremely disappointed with the amount of flow this thing has compared to my 1250.. Good news is, it's dead silent but It's extremely weak and barely seems to push any water.. My other Aqueon 950 pump that I have pushing water behind my rocks is more powerful then the 1050.. I can tell it's less powerful because I have debris in areas it wasn't before when the 1250 was running and just by a simple hand in front of the pump test :?

My question is, does Koralia overate their pumps? meaning, to get something that really pushes a lot of water do I need to get into the 1650 + stuff?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
The Koralia's disperse the water as they push it, as opposed to others that push more of a jet stream. If you're looking for a pump to push water and move debris say behind a rock pile, then the Koralia is probably not the best choice. It's better at increasing general water movement/current in the open. I actually like them because they don't push a jet stream. Depends on the application.

So, to answer your question, it's probably pushing the water at the rate it specifies, but since it's dispersing it, it doesn't feel like it.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Did your come with that "cone" to concentrate the stream more? I have one of the older Kor 3's and it has that, but if I try and use it with it, its too powerful and blows my sand all over the place. And its only rated at 850gph

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
prov356 said:
The Koralia's disperse the water as they push it, as opposed to others that push more of a jet stream. If you're looking for a pump to push water and move debris say behind a rock pile, then the Koralia is probably not the best choice. It's better at increasing general water movement/current in the open. I actually like them because they don't push a jet stream. Depends on the application.

So, to answer your question, it's probably pushing the water at the rate it specifies, but since it's dispersing it, it doesn't feel like it.
I guess this makes sense so I think I am ok. I have my Aqueon 950 behind my rocks and its more of a stream. The 1050 Korlia I have out in the open so I may need to adjust it little bit to hit the bottom more.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
xxbenjamminxx said:
Did your come with that "cone" to concentrate the stream more? I have one of the older Kor 3's and it has that, but if I try and use it with it, its too powerful and blows my sand all over the place. And its only rated at 850gph
No cone, i have seen those though this one is different.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I tend to think Koralia's are way over rated and over priced ! I got a couple Sun Sun off Ebay that have much more power at about half the price and they are very quiet.

·
Registered
141 Posts
fubu56 said:
I tend to think Koralia's are way over rated and over priced ! I got a couple Sun Sun off Ebay that have much more power at about half the price and they are very quiet.
Sunsun's are Koralia knock-offs . Have you checked the power consumption of the Sunsun power heads ?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I paid around $22 to $25 each for both my Koralias n only use about 10watt between the both of them.

Gotta say I love them so far!! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
My Koralia Evo 1050 blow the fish, poop, and everything away... Just be sure you position it right. Place them lower in the water then regular powerhead.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going to play with positioning today to see what happens. I guess the good thing is, the sand inst getting blown around as much and actually my bottom is staying pretty clean. :thumb:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts