Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried running a dimmer switch into their light on their tank? Or is there a timer for lights that have a dimmer option?
I want to subdue my lighting getting in my tank, but I don't really want to add floating plants. I also thought about tinting the clear plastic piece on my hood where the light shines through, but I'm thinking it would melt and bubble really bad if I went that route...?
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
If they are flourescent tubes I don't think a dimmer will really work.

·
Registered
369 Posts
That is correct. Flourescents cannot be dimmed. Newer "house" compact flourescents can be (if you buy the correct type) but tube flourescents do not dim.

If you're handy at all maybe some type of diffuser could be cut and placed under the lighting to break up the lights a bit? just a thought

·
Registered
252 Posts
I just put a couple of pieces of tin foil between the light and the glass. You can make it as big or small as you want. You can put it over areas you want darker and not where you want it lighter. You can run a whole strip (narrow) the length of the tube and darken the whole length. I just put a strand of rope lights in the canopy I just built and am using a lamp dimmer (I got at Lowes) on it. Like it alot. Another .02 from the newcichlidiot.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
BigDaddyK said:
That is correct. Flourescents cannot be dimmed. Newer "house" compact flourescents can be (if you buy the correct type) but tube flourescents do not dim.
Oh yes they do !!! You just need a special dimmer. I have sunset and sunrise in all of my three tanks with fluorscents. Juwel Rio 240 - Dimming the lights

·
Registered
369 Posts
Trigger Ty for the information on this. When I build my plywood tank I will be looking on avalability in my area. That said I have to stand by my original comment You are refering to more than just a simple switch that I believe sirnewb was referring to. I could be incorrect in my assumptions and regardless it's great to see there are ways around dimming with flour. lights

:thumb:

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
If you have the older style fluor. tubes, with starters (not sure if that's what they called in english, but the little tubes you screw in the fixture that allow the tubes to glow) you can replace those startes with things called memolux starters. They can dimm also. They are more basic, they are preprogrammed with three settings you can choose from. In that case it's just replace the starter and you are set. Downside of those is that they will not dimm below about 30%, they go from 30% to 100%

But his goes beyond the OP's question I realise. He just wants to get less light in...

Maybe another type of tube that gives a less brighter white ???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts