Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I scored big time :D .I've never seen one of these anywhere besides in profiles.I just picked him up 3 days ago.

Dimidiochromis compressiceps (Albino) Malawi Eye Biter

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
congrats looks nice :)

hopefully he doesn't live up to his name..

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Picked this bad boy for $14 flat. The LFS had 2 mixed with a bunch of CA fish. I picked up the smallest of the 2 just because I want to see him grow.They were $15 but I talked him down to $14 no tax since he was smaller.Now thats some negotiating :p

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Dimidiochromis compressiceps are natural predators of small fish, they do not have an eye biting specialty, nor will they pluck eyes out of fish at a rate any different than other fish in my experiences.

As a side note on the albino's, please do not breed these with regular comp's, as the albinos are a developed hybridized fish, that looks like D. comps.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Lucky! $14? :eek: How did you do it? My LFS will only come down on oscars (and I dont want an oscar) and a pretty guy like that would cost me about $40 :eek: :x Talk about crazy!

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
eyezak said:
Now what makes you think this is a hybrid? Just because it's an albino doesn't mean automatically it's a hybrid.Albinoism does happen naturally.Now I know there is the OB D.Comp that is a hybrid.Even the forums own profile does not mention the albino D.Comp of being a hybrid http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=2319.
The OB and Albino came from the same Singapore breeders... The same breeder had albino Lab's.. that were clearly not Labs'.. I don't think their website is up anymore, but they had a ton of hybrids and interesting creations. More than just a coincidence when a single breeder suddenly has a ton of "new" albinos and OB strains in a very short period of time.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Fogelhund said:
eyezak said:
Now what makes you think this is a hybrid? Just because it's an albino doesn't mean automatically it's a hybrid.Albinoism does happen naturally.Now I know there is the OB D.Comp that is a hybrid.Even the forums own profile does not mention the albino D.Comp of being a hybrid http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=2319.
The OB and Albino came from the same Singapore breeders... The same breeder had albino Lab's.. that were clearly not Labs'.. I don't think their website is up anymore, but they had a ton of hybrids and interesting creations. More than just a coincidence when a single breeder suddenly has a ton of "new" albinos and OB strains in a very short period of time.
I certainly hope they are not hybrids When I purchased mine I bought them as albino Dimidiochromis compressiceps not as a hybrid. I searched and could not find anywhere that claimed them to be hybrids but I will contact the dealer I got them from and see what he has to say

·
Registered
54 Posts
I bought an albino d.compress in Rockville MD 2 weeks ago. I had a long trip to pittsburgh tho.

He lived 6 days and I thought I was in the clear. Then on Day 7 he was stuck to the prefilter on my powerhead.

FYI - cost me 22 bucks, but they're giving me store credit for him.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DEREK21 said:
I bought an albino d.compress in Rockville MD 2 weeks ago. I had a long trip to pittsburgh tho.

He lived 6 days and I thought I was in the clear. Then on Day 7 he was stuck to the prefilter on my powerhead.

FYI - cost me 22 bucks, but they're giving me store credit for him.
Your lucky I just found my Albino Ruby Red on the floor and my Albino D.Comp no where to be found :( THIS REALLY SUCKS!!!!!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I saw some albino comps today for $6.99 a fish. Should i jump on a fish or two? Never been a big fan of OBs or albinos because of the human interferance. Im a pure lake man usually.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Desi<3 said:
Lucky! $14? :eek: How did you do it? My LFS will only come down on oscars (and I dont want an oscar) and a pretty guy like that would cost me about $40 :eek: :x Talk about crazy!
I work at a fish store and we ordered regular Malawi Eye Bites and got an albino in. I was not under the impression that they were that rare. Are there multiple types?

·
Registered
6,281 Posts
Jonesab7 said:
Desi<3 said:
I work at a fish store and we ordered regular Malawi Eye Bites and got an albino in. I was not under the impression that they were that rare. Are there multiple types?
They are not rare around here. I see a lot of them. Only started popping up the last year or so.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.