Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first started reading threads on here preparing to cycle my 55 and stock with mbuna a few things that were mentioned I never really grasped the level to which you spoke of. Digging...These guys dig and dig and dig. I'll fill in the holes and they'll dig it back.

Thankfully I heeded the warnings about not putting the rock on PFS, rather create a base then stack, they go as far under the rocks as they can. I have 4 caves that are dug out to the bottom.

All this created another issue; I lost one of my acei's today or last night. With the rock work it's very difficult to get out a dead fish. But this one slid under the rocks into the big cave that the boss dug. Thankfully it's a water change day, but I still have to remove all the rocks from one side to get this poor guy out. And no, I can't fit the vacuum back there to suck him out.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Always practical to have rocks set up in such a way that it's not too onerous to remove them all.

Often it seems onerous but ends up not being so bad once you accept it has to be done.

One advantage of having separate piles as opposed to filling the tank is that in this scenario you can remove just one pile to get the dead fish.

·
Registered
783 Posts
DJRansome said:
Always practical to have rocks set up in such a way that it's not too onerous to remove them all.

Often it seems onerous but ends up not being so bad once you accept it has to be done. ...
Another reason to put some consideration into the SIZE of the rocks one chooses ...

More smaller (as opposesd to less but larger) is mo' better (IMHO)

Also lighter is better ... :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
DJRansome said:
Often it seems onerous but ends up not being so bad once you accept it has to be done.
I had to laugh about that, been there :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DJRansome said:

One advantage of having separate piles as opposed to filling the tank is that in this scenario you can remove just one pile to get the dead fish.
That's what I've just done, I now have three piles, it'll be much easier in the future, doesn't look as nice though.

I just planted some vallisneria yesterday, they dug up one of them.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
You are not surprised, right?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DJRansome said:
You are not surprised, right?
No not surprised, these maniacs! Hopefully they'll leave the plants alone, just looking for a way to control nitrate between weekly water changes.

·
Registered
449 Posts
ironspider said:
DJRansome said:

That's what I've just done, I now have three piles, it'll be much easier in the future, doesn't look as nice though.

About a year ago, one of my Yellow Labs came up missing for no apparent reason, none of the fish had appeared to be ill or beaten; no matter how much I looked and moved rocks around I could not find him. A couple of months later I had to take everything out of the tank to catch a bunch of Kenyi and Red Zebra fry so I decided to deep clean the tank. Found the skeletal remains of the Lab buried in a pile of sand the male Kenyi had excavated from inside of a pile of rocks.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Old Newbie said:
ironspider said:
DJRansome said:

About a year ago, one of my Yellow Labs came up missing for no apparent reason, none of the fish had appeared to be ill or beaten; no matter how much I looked and moved rocks around I could not find him. A couple of months later I had to take everything out of the tank to catch a bunch of Kenyi and Red Zebra fry so I decided to deep clean the tank. Found the skeletal remains of the Lab buried in a pile of sand the male Kenyi had excavated from inside of a pile of rocks.
Maybe that Kenyi has some sort of conscience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts