Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my female frontosa is constantly digging in a section of the tank she has claimed. Why does she do this and is it typical female behavior? Correct me if Im wrong but I thought males did this to create a nest? Any help would be great Thanks.

· Registered
961 Posts
both males and females will pit in anticipation of breeding. sometimes it's the breeding pair together (usually requires some past experience), sometimes a second (or third) bull will pit in other areas to compete for that female, sometimes a valid (tube down) female will pit alone (because no male is acceptable to her terms today), and sometimes a second ( or third) female will pit because, after all, they are harem breeders (this is a bit rare, usually a male will finish with one female, before joining another. so it can be common to see 3-4 females holding in a weeks time. just not all of them on the same morning). and last, but not least, sometimes any front will pit because it senses something edible underneath.
with a bit more detail shared here, or careful observation of the entire group by yourself over the next few days, the right answer will become more evident. HTH.

· Registered
2,826 Posts
Binner said:
One of my female frontosa is constantly digging in a section of the tank she has claimed. Why does she do this and is it typical female behavior? Correct me if Im wrong but I thought males did this to create a nest? Any help would be great Thanks.
Normal-natural behavior. Enjoy it!

Russ

· Registered
509 Posts
congrats on your holding female. :thumb: I cant hardly wait for mine to spawn. I dont plan on doing breeding for sales etc.. just want to be able to say i spawned some and compare how they are with the other african cichlids i have spawned.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.