Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my female frontosa is constantly digging in a section of the tank she has claimed. Why does she do this and is it typical female behavior? Correct me if Im wrong but I thought males did this to create a nest? Any help would be great Thanks.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Many fish will dig in an area to look for food trapped in the substrate. It is normal and all my fish both male and female dig looking for food and also sometimes to just move sand or gravel for "fishy fun ".

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
both males and females will pit in anticipation of breeding. sometimes it's the breeding pair together (usually requires some past experience), sometimes a second (or third) bull will pit in other areas to compete for that female, sometimes a valid (tube down) female will pit alone (because no male is acceptable to her terms today), and sometimes a second ( or third) female will pit because, after all, they are harem breeders (this is a bit rare, usually a male will finish with one female, before joining another. so it can be common to see 3-4 females holding in a weeks time. just not all of them on the same morning). and last, but not least, sometimes any front will pit because it senses something edible underneath.
with a bit more detail shared here, or careful observation of the entire group by yourself over the next few days, the right answer will become more evident. HTH.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My Burundi Alpha male has been digging for quite some time, is it just a territorial thing with him? I mean he has dug the whole front of my 90 gal, if you fill it in he just digs it up all again!

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Binner said:
One of my female frontosa is constantly digging in a section of the tank she has claimed. Why does she do this and is it typical female behavior? Correct me if Im wrong but I thought males did this to create a nest? Any help would be great Thanks.
Normal-natural behavior. Enjoy it!

Russ

·
Registered
619 Posts
congrats on your holding female. :thumb: I cant hardly wait for mine to spawn. I dont plan on doing breeding for sales etc.. just want to be able to say i spawned some and compare how they are with the other african cichlids i have spawned.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
:dancing: :thumb: :dancing: first time with fronts holding I'm excited sorry! lol[/quote

Congrats! Hope she is not just holding a mouthful of gravel. Best of luck and please keep us posted :thumb:

Russ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts