Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I've bought a trio of red zebras in October, I wanted to buy a 3rd female from another store and these have never bred. I noticed that the females I had were not as bright orange as the new one. On top of that the new female is of a really bright orange and her head was more rounded than the others. Since her addition to the tank in November, she was never holding.

This Monday I added a trio of Metriclima Pulpican and after 3days in the tanks the very bright red zebra is now holding for the first time.. I suspect the new male Pulpican to be the father as I removed my male to let the females rest a bit (fin damage).

Is there 2 kinds of red zebra? I was quite surprised that the 3rd female I added wasn't breeding with my red zebra male. And now she's breeding with a blue Pulpican.

Could you advise me if there are 2 types of red zebras?

Thanks everyone!
Luigi

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
There are not two types. This is probably a hybrid or a deformity. It could be a red zebra-katale island hybrid as katale islands have round heads. Don't worry about it. I have several hybrids in my tank.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Basically quality varies a lot. Some are deeper orange. Lower quality pale orange. And then there are hybrids. There has been new imports but quality of fish for sale are inconsistent.

M. estherae in nature has mostly light blue males with orange females, but there are some orange males. They have bred the orange males in captivity and produced strains where all of the Red Zebra are orange. There also are OB Red Zebra in nature. So there are different strains of Red Zebra. Also Yellow Lab X Red Zebra hybrids for sale.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts