Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suspect the brightest metalic blue is hormoned, although it's been about a month...but is he even the same species as the other two?

Dominant male top....hormoned? bottom

The same two...

Submissive same species as the Dominant male above...not quite as sickly looking as it appears in the photo.

Note: I realize they are stressed and at risk for bloat (they are all still eating but the tank will be fasting for a few days). I'm in the process of separating peacocks & haps from mbuna...just waiting for two new tanks to cycle.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have 2 electric blue. the dominant is bright metalic blue like the one you say is sub dominant. But i Think that the one that looks kinda grayish is female. Because females are silver with very little blue. and males are the bright blues

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought females were orange? I pulled half the mbuna out today and the dominant (top 2 photos) and submissive (bottom photo) are both looking a little better, and a little more blue. The bright metallic blue, is still bright metallic blue but showing his bars a bit more...do you think I might just have one male and 2 females then? I thought all 3 were males....but in the world of cichlids I know nothing.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
PortiaD said:
I thought females were orange? I pulled half the mbuna out today and the dominant (top 2 photos) and submissive (bottom photo) are both looking a little better, and a little more blue. The bright metallic blue, is still bright metallic blue but showing his bars a bit more...do you think I might just have one male and 2 females then? I thought all 3 were males....but in the world of cichlids I know nothing.
Females, and subdominant males are silver... as well as the fry.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yea females are not orange they are silver and sub males are silver too but bluish but not as blue as the metalic blue male. but my sub dominant blue is turning blackish maybe Ill move him to a dif tank to make him feel beastly again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts