Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I've been feeding my Oscars, my JD, and my Rainbow all beefhearts that they really enjoy- it doesn't take very long for them to disappear lol. I was curious as to what else I can feed them in addition to regular food (pellets and flakes) or other frozen food (blood worms, brine shrimp).

I've been skeptical to feed them feeder guppies because of the risk of disease. I've occasionally fed them pieces of organic fresh spinach which they enjoyed as well.

Any ideas would be great!! Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
When you say regular flake/pellet ate you including nls ?

·
Registered
352 Posts
My fish love fresh market shrimp that I buy from the grocery store and chop up into bite sized pieces.

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
jeaninel said:
My fish love fresh market shrimp that I buy from the grocery store and chop up into bite sized pieces.
This is quite possibly the best food you can feed. Only thing better is a quality pellet. I would stay away from beefheart, it's only ok in very very small portions. Best not to feed it at all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At my LFS they told me to feed live fish for quicker growth and if I didn't want to then to go with beefheart. Why is beefheart no good?

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
Your local fish store doesn't have a clue. Feeding your fish feeder fish will not make them grow fast, as a matter of fact your fish will grow slower and your local fish store will have a sale and a sucker coming back for more. Typical... Beefheart is not easily digested by fish. It's not that it's no good, it's that it's not very nutritious.

All your fish need is a good quality pellet. They will grow fast and be healthy. Anything else like shrimp shoud be a treat fed once a week.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I concur .... SPEND the extra cash for the best quality pellets . It's really worth it ... This week , I'm trying Zoo Med's earth worm flakes ... I've heard good reviews by word of mouth and my fishes seem to love it . Anyone have experience with Zoo Meds spirulina and Zoo Meds Earthworm flakes ?

·
Registered
268 Posts
TheFishGuy said:
jeaninel said:
This is quite possibly the best food you can feed. Only thing better is a quality pellet. I would stay away from beefheart, it's only ok in very very small portions. Best not to feed it at all.
I used to feed beefheart in the 90's while in college to my cichlids along with pellets. I did not think the beefheart would be an issue for them. My thought on this is that beefheart would seem to be relatively high in protein, no? (and no, I am no chemist or nutrition expert). The digestion factor I did not consider at all. I currently feed various pellets and worms (Panfish, baby Nightcrawlers).

I'll ask my wife to get some shrimp next time she goes shopping...I can just hear the choooops (sucking of the teeth).

Here is a generic question related to pellet food: is it just the binding agent that the yeast/wheat flour is used for? Can't see cichlids finding yeast or flour natrually :)

As for live food, I get them sometimes...I get danios or tetras...heard too many stories against "feeder" fish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts