Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All!
Tricuit posted an awesome link before on the variants of eretmodus. Anyone think there are signficant differences between the southern types? I've had kampampa before and they look similar to the Zambian blue spot type. All the internet photos I've seen, make them look very similar. Both are blue spotted fish, with minor striping on the side. In my opinion the kasanga type is the nicest, from one photo I've seen. Only spots on a somewhat uniform dark brown body, with no stripes. But this could also be an excellent photo in perfect lighting!

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I've bred two groups of wild erets, and my Zambians (not sure of exact collection point) were generally darker green than my recently acquired Kasangas. I'm not sure if that holds up across the wider population, though. I think my Zambains were prettier than the kasanga, but again the new fish have barely settled in and are still skittish. Perhaps they'll color up given six months or so.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Some Kapampa

And compared to Mpimbwe

I prefer the Mpimbwe because of the stripes...
I think the colour really depends on mood and the tank setting they're in

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Your Mpimbwe are adorable! I didn't realize that they and Kapampa are both considered E. spp North, at least according to this link:

http://www.destin-tanganyika.com/Articl ... tmodus.htm

I haven't kept up on the classification- does anyone know if E. cyanostictus have two official subspecies? I'm sure the taxonomy will keep changing... :popcorn:

My avatar shows a pair of my Zambians (f1), while this thread shows my new Kasangas.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
As far as I know the division is real but Sp. North is yet to be formally described.
Assuming it turns out to be as simple as that.
I also read Sp North is slowly taking over places where they formally did not live.
Slowly but surely driving the wussy southerners further south. :wink:
I do have my misgivings that the guy on the profiles here is a typical Sp North though. Some have far wider flatter mouths and better bars. May turn out to be loads of variants and more than two species.

All the best James

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
those are nice shots of gobies. Triscuit, technically according to the variant map you provided, Kapampa would be considered a northern goby. The dots on the lake map include Kapampa as the lowest part for the Northern range. I've seen them described by others as a southern variant though also.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yeah I too thought the Kapampa were southern variety

Funny that,

I think I prefer the Northern Mpimbwe variant

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.