Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so far, I've been feeding "veggie flake" (that's mostly meat) that I had on hand and NLS cichlid formula to my mbuna tank - yellow labs, cobalt zebras and acei, so all herbivores from what I read. I'm looking for a more plant based food and the LFS had "HBH spirulina super soft". The ingredient label looks pretty good for an herbivore - anyone have any good or bad experience with those pellets or have a different recommendation? should I still give them NLS too?

·
Super Moderator
40,499 Posts
I'd just give them NLS exclusively.

G

·
i got tetra veggie flakes, spirulina flakes, and vegetable flakes (mostly all veggies) and mixed em together.. ill probly switch to nls when they run out... didntk now about it so i bought other stuff.. everyone seems to swear by that nls thou

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
tigger101023 said:
so far, I've been feeding "veggie flake" (that's mostly meat) that I had on hand and NLS cichlid formula to my mbuna tank - yellow labs, cobalt zebras and acei, so all herbivores from what I read. I'm looking for a more plant based food and the LFS had "HBH spirulina super soft". The ingredient label looks pretty good for an herbivore - anyone have any good or bad experience with those pellets or have a different recommendation? should I still give them NLS too?
They aren't all herbivores.

Yellow Labs primarily dine on insect larvae and small crustaceans.

Cobalts and acei dine on the aufwuchs, the algae on the rocks, that also contains insect larvae and small crustaceans. Most cichlids are also opportunistic, will eat plankton in the column above rocks, as well as any fry they can catch.

The foods recommended will work fine though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts