Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!
My name is jake, im 21 and i am into fish keeping.
I just got into cichlids. I only have 2 until friday.
I got them in a 50 gal, ebo jager heater, and a bio wheel 200, soon to have a emp 280 also.

The cichlids i have are :
Pseudotropheus Zebra
Melanochromis Auratus

the plan is to have this many cichlids in my 50 and here will be my set up
3-yellow 1 male, 2 females
3-zebras 1 male, 1 females(including mine)
3-johanni 1 male, 2 females
and the my golden

now for some pics

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
whats the demensions on the 50? is it 38x18(3x1.5ft) or a 4ft one? (it does matter)

you need to up your numbers alot. african cichlids need to be a bit overstocked to disburse the aggression, and to look pretty. if you want 3 species id up your numbers to 5 to 7 of each species, preferably 1male-4-5females

BTW look into "zebras" more thats a very big area dude

·
Registered
729 Posts
It looks like it is still tiny, so may be hard to tell for sure from that picture, but I am thinking it looks like an albino peacock more than a mbuna....

·
Registered
729 Posts
I still think it looks like a peacock, for many reasons, but the shape of the eyes look particularly Peacock-like. The red eyes also make it an albino. Here are some albino peacock pictures...

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=1378

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/s ... hp?id=1310

I know he is still small and so doesn't quite look like these yet, but from the pictures he looks more like this than a zebra or any other mbuna.

I am wondering what others on the site think he is?

·
Super Moderator
40,492 Posts
Auratus are VERY aggressive and usually better in a 75G minimum tank with a single male and 7-8 females.

Agree with TheeMon, if that is a 36" tank you will have a problem if you stock with full-size mbuna of any description, except maybe yellow labs. Footprint is more important than gallons.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts