Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok been doing a fishless cycle for the past 4 weeks. Everything was progressing fine had zero ppm of ammonia(converting in 12 hours) for the past week. I have been doing 30% WC everyday and dosing with ammonia up to 2ppm every other day. Checked water last night nitrites were between 2-5ppm after WC. Just checked today when I got home showing 0ppm of nitrite. So far so good right? So here's my conundrum I'm reading 0ppm of nitrates right now(maybe a slight reading but close to 0ppm). This is my second fishless cycle (did use stability as directed this time) and if I remember correctly nitrates showed up fairly soon. Did something happen? Or should I wait till tomorrow to be worried. Need the experts on this to ease my mind! Thanks
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrites 0ppm
Nitrates 0ppm
PH 8.4
KH/GH 400+ppm and holding
Water temp 82F

·
Registered
429 Posts
That's a lot faster than mine took, but it sounds like you should be good, just continue dosing with ammonia for now and make sure it continues that way for a couple days.

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
Except you DO want to see nitrates. You could contact the Stability people, see what they say. Or wait the remaining 2 weeks of the usual six week cycle and see how it goes.

·
Registered
449 Posts
You say maybe a slight reading for Nitrates? If the color is anything except for ultra bright yellow there are Nitrates present. I would dose with ammonia and check again in 12 to 24 hours.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah the 0-minimal nitrates is what was throwing me off. I did dose with ammonia last night because I won't be home till tomorrow night. I was just concerned I crashed the cycle or something. I'll check tomorrow as soon as I get home to hopefully see nitrates. Then next week schedule the delivery for the fish. Excited been a few years since I've had fish I do enjoy the hobby that's for sure!

·
Registered
22 Posts
what are you testing with? if this is an API test kit you must shake the living **** out of the bottles and then shake them some more and then shake your test after putting your drops in for a good minute. I thought the same thing was happening to me with API and then went home an shook it after some advice online and went from what I thought was zero to 80PPM.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes it is a API test kit I did shake it! The good news is we have the nitrates! The tank is cycled and just ordered the fish! A couple more water changes and then good to go! Thanks for the help guys much appreciated!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts