Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 150 gallon Cichlid tank with about 11 assorted Mbuna, 4 Giraffe Haps (1 is 5" male) 1-4" Red jacobfreibergi and 2- 2" dark striped peacocks I cant determine yet til bigger (I'd moved them over from my 55 gallon tank). I rearranged the tank yesterday and added a 4" Swallowtail, 3" Red top Lwanda, 4" and 3" Taiwan reef and 2 -2" Taiwan reefs I'd purchased. The first 2 hours I saw no aggression from anyone towards any of them. The Taiwan's swam around and the other two both just hung out in an upper corner swimming across the tank once or twice. I had to go outside to feed horses n chores, then came back 2 hrs later to find both the Lwanda and Swallow tail dead on the bottom of the tank! I have the 4" Red Jacobfreibergi in the tank I'd added 3 months ago with no issues. Did he kill them? They were both colored up when I added them. I watch my tanks like a hawk but was late feeding waiting on this shipment. I was devistated to find them dead. I couldn't see any damage to their bodies. The 4 Taiwan's (silver bodies) are fine today still. I could have put them in my 55 gal tank with smaller assorted if I'd known. I don't have female Red Jacobs in the tank only 1-4" rubescen female and a 4" Regal blue female that are big like him. I thought I would have seen aggression the first 2 hours if going to be any. Heart sick....

·
Registered
9,061 Posts
Can always be risky to add new adults with current adults. Once the tank got settled down maybe there was some pecking order fighting, really from any fish. Yes, hard to know.

But these 2 fish died so easily and quickly, they may have been really stressed out. Were these new fish shipped overnight? Or sat in a bag for a long time?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ordered them from <vendor name removed> overnight. One bag had leaked and they were really cold. Some were in bigger bags others in tiny ones. I let them float in my tank for 20 minutes and checked their bag temperature. It was good, so I drained them and released them into my tank. The largest Taiwan Reef was really gasping for air but he is one of the ones that is fine now. Seemed like a hardier fish then the more delicate Swallowtail and Red top Lwanda. They first swam across the tank slowly then both stayed in an upper corner. I never saw any of my fish approach them. They were both on the bottom, opposite side of my 6 foot tank dead. That's the way the current would have pushed them. <vendor name removed> communication is terrible. They had sent me these 2 as payment for shipping cost reimbursement on one that had died in another order during shipping a few days earlier. Id specified 2 fish as reimbursement because they never got back to me on how to add more fish so they weren't just replacing one 1.5" fish. Another issue with them...I order 1.5" fish off their website....first order perfect. Next time I ordered I got .25" fry! So small I could barely tell who was who. Over a period of 3 weeks they all slowly died...Not exposed to larger fish either. Now on this order I ordered one 3.5-4" Taiwan Reef and the rest 1.5", He sent me all fish 2.5" to 4". Unreal...I have emailed them but they have not responded which is normal. Now I noticed on their website they are out of the Lwandas. So to you does this sound like 2 hours after I put them in they could have died of stress? Sounds like your response fit the details of how I found them. I was amazed they all weren't already dead from the wet newspaper packaging, cold hot pack and ice cold water they were in. I sent them an email telling them they were cold but doing ok, them not 2 minutes later I went to show my husband and found them both dead. Thank you so much for your ideas on this. Its really helpful and I think you nailed it. I never thought about stress. It definitely can take 3 to 4 hours to have killed them that way.... look forward to your response...Cindie

·
Super Moderator
40,480 Posts
Not sure what happened in this specific scenario, but people often keep only one jacobfreibergi/tank to avoid issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate all the input. I don't recognize most of the fish you listed. Never saw them on Lake Malawi lists. Possibly Tanzanica? Im familiar with Demasonis but don't have any. I'll look them up. I emailed the seller but they never get back to you unless you want to buy more fish. So doubt they will replace them. I have a 55 gallon I'll put them in if they replace them. But not expecting a reply. Live and learn. <vendor name removed> is an amazing seller. Great prices, careful shipping and great communication. I'll stick with them from now on. They have a great selection right now as well. Thank you All again.

·
Super Moderator
40,480 Posts
Jacob and Lwanda and Swallowtail are all Aulonocara jacobfreibergi. They are an aggressive type of peacock.I

I don't see any other fish listed in this post, so I'm guessing you were asking about the jacobfreibergi? I find Google is my friend when I don't recognize a term used by a member in a post.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I had a 125 all male tank and tried putting in a large Lemon Jake, Lwanda, and Otter Point with an already established Eurkea Red. Take note these are all from the Jacobfreibergi family of Peacocks. Well....in the end, the Eureka was the only one left of those listed as he killed the others. *** never had any luck with multiple jakes in one tank.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts