Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many would you put in a 75 gallon tank with plenty of rock work?

They will be the only species

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
20. I would shoot for 3m and 17 f.

·
Registered
21 Posts
in a 75G the typical advice is about 4 breeds 1M:5F. What if one of those breeds is demasoni? So in my 75 i put in 18 demasoni assuming that number will dwindle down after they establish hierarchy. Since they are dwarf, can i do 3 other breeds at 1m:5F?

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
With demasoni since they are difficult and fishkeepers have better luck with large groups, I would not have 4 species.

In a 75G 15 individuals after removing extra males would be ideal. Then another one or two species with 1m:4f could work...avoid blue barred species.

Keeping the numbers high manages aggression for most people better than 1m:4f with demasoni. I tried 9 once and then I learned about bloat. Since then I kept 20 in the 72" tank and now I always have at least 15 in the 48x18" tank.

FYI they shouldn't dwindle down...you would rehome any fish that are rejected while they are still healthy and can be rehomed. Letting them kill each other off can lead to disease.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the answers...One of the difficulties I have is that I have juvenile fish in the tank and I don`t know the sex of the fish, not even sure how to sex them.

Is there such thing as finding a seller who will sell only females?

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
Not in my experience. You buy unsexed juveniles and rehome extra males as they cause trouble. Just wait a year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.