Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what everyones opinion is on demasoni I really like the looks n colours of them but just worried about their aggression cause everyone says the are very aggresive

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a 55gallon with 12 dems, there's 3 males and the rest are females, the do fine, no extreme agression, lots of breeding. Beautiful fish, I recommend it as long as the numbers are big and the female to male ratio is big

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have about 17-18 now and lost a few in the beginning, still not sure if it was bloat or fighting. I treated the tank and only lost one more so leaning toward bloat. I had my fisrt batch of babies a while back. Only one survived the multis though. Survival of the fittest I guess... :( As for their temperament, they seem just as timid or aggressive as my labs. I am not sure how they get a bad rep.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool thanx yeah I have a few yellow labs already.. So might give them ago .. How hard are they to breed n at what size

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am not sure what is normal… but my dems breed about once for every four batches of labs. â€Å" My breeding female dems are about 1.5 " and are small litters say 5-8 right now. I think they are still young.

·
Registered
10 Posts
situation said:
Cool thanx yeah I have a few yellow labs already.. So might give them ago .. How hard are they to breed n at what size
Demasoni are not hard to breed at all. In fact, if you have the right ratio of males to females of just about any mouth brooding cichlid, you'll soon wish they would stop breeding. Cichlids breed like rabbits.

Demasoni can breed at a surprisingly small size compared to other species, probably because they are a "dwarf" mbuna. I've had a few holding females in a grow out tank that couldn't have been more than 1 1/2" in size. Demasoni fry are the only ones I bother growing out these days(after ruthless culling) because my adults tend to go through period massacres of each other if their social order is thrown out of whack for whatever reason.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I've got 22 of them in my main tank with four holding. I just stripped one of fourteen last night. Had about eighteen fry before that from the week before. I took eight adults in for credit and five juvies and have only had these for a week and two days. A local guy was moving and can't take his aquariums. Sadly, I checked with four pet stores today to see if they would buy juvies and they would only take "donations" that they will sell for a minimum of ten dollars each. Lol, I will let them be food for my fish first. They do breed like bunnies though. I have seen the shimmy quite a bit even with all the commotion going on in my tank in the last week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts