Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From reading a lot of posts this seems to be a favorite. I was wondering what it is about this fish that so many people love? Beside the fact that both males and females have nice coloring. I have a 55 gallon tank and was planning on going with a 3 species mildly aggressive tank but my main concern is with mostly females I won't have a lot of color. I really like the cynotilapia afra's though. Regardless, I am now considering possibly going with these guys since I do like the color.
Really I just want to know what it is about them that people like so much? Also, since you need at least 12 of them, in a 55 gallon would that mean only one other species? I know others have mentioned yellow labs and acei being ok with them. What about some other possibilites? Color contrasts? Would just about any species work as long as they look nothing like them? Thanks.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Don't put in species that have similar coloration to demasoni

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am aware of that, if I did decide to get them I would want the other species to be a different color, possibly yellow/red/orange. That way they will look nothing like them. Any suggestions besides yellow labs?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
A nice group of red zebras will go well with the demasoni, but I wouldn't add red zebras with the Yellow labs if you plan to breed. Another nice option is the Snow White socolofi..

I think the main attraction to demasoni is that females do look just as nice as males, but it's also entertaining to see such a tiny dwarf fish with so much attitude!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Red Zebras would look nice with the demasoni. It would be good color contrast. Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
14,646 Posts
kasey06 said:
Really I just want to know what it is about them that people like so much?
Besides the great colour that you get from both males and females, these little fish have the best personality of any fish I've kept. They're small but spunky and always look like they're angry and ready for a fight. When they're kept in very large groups, the activity in the tank can be hypnotic to watch. They can be kept in fairly small tanks as opposed to many other mbuna that require large territories, so those who can't afford, or don't have the space for 125 gallon tanks, have the option to keep an active, colourful fish in a tank they can afford. They also breed like rabbits and a tank can multiply several times over in just a short time.

For the life of me, I can't understand why they're still so expensive. Seven years ago, they were quite rare and the ones that were available were F1 or even WC. Once Laif began saturating the market with his beautiful farm raised fish, they started popping up just about everywhere. Now they're extremely abundant and easy to keep when kept properly. I've bred and distributed literally thousands of these fish in the Southern Ontario region. So much so that I can't sell them anymore, even at $3 a pop, and yet retailers around me are still asking $15 - $20 per fish! I don't know who's paying those prices but I wish they'd come to my house. :lol:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. I really do want and active and colorful tank so I guess my best bet is to go with a species like this that has good color/personality for both males and females. Now to decide on a 2nd species. I need to take a drive to my LFS and see what they have on hand and what they can special order for me. Unfortunately I am having my tonsils removed first thing tomorrow morning, not looking forward to that. Then I am hoping to get this tank cycling FINALLY. I think I am going to get some Demasoni. Is 12 a good number? Perhaps 6 of the 2nd species I get? And I will be getting some petricola as well.

·
Registered
14,646 Posts
12 is a good number if you're going with a second species.

Do not cycle your tank with the fish you're keeping. The cycle can cause long term health issues and shorten the life of your fish. There are alternate methods including Bio-spira, adding ammonia or using feeder fish although that can lead to disease and parasites. Plus you have to get rid of them somehow.

Good luck with your tonsils.. enjoy the ice cream! :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Anyone else realize how "cult-ish" we sound when we talk about demasoni??? :lol:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't mean cycle with the fish. I am already planning on doing a fishless cycle with the help of biospira. Can't wait to have it up in running but I will definitely be doing it right!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When looking at possibly 2nd species obviously I want something that looks Would Cynotilapia Afra Cobue look too similar? To me they look quite different along but they do have some bars. Any thoughts? I just really like them, they have been the one constant in my pre-stock lists. But if it won't work I won't do it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Kasey do you know where your going to get the demasoni if you decide to go with them? And do you know how much they cost? I'm just wondering because in a pet store near me they are $20

·
Registered
108 Posts
Joea said:
kasey06 said:
Really I just want to know what it is about them that people like so much?
When they're kept in very large groups, the activity in the tank can be hypnotic to watch.
I agree with Joea. I also like that they are smaller in size. I do like the group element too. My first set up had a wide variety of species. I don't think I even had two of the same fish. Now my tank has 4 species with multiple of each. I prefer the groups of species more than singles of many fish.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am going to the store near me next friday and i'll get prices/availability. If not available or at extreme price I will look into online. His pricing is really fair/accurate on his fish. He sells mainly saltwater but he has a lot of cichlids as well. Really nice setup, been in business for a long time.

·
Registered
336 Posts
kasey06 said:
I am going to the store near me next friday and i'll get prices/availability. If not available or at extreme price I will look into online.
You could also try looking for local aquarium clubs near you :thumb:

You can probably find alot of local breeders that you never even knew existed :D

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I would not combine Demasoni with C. Afra Cobue as both are blue barred fish. Also I have read that Cobue need to feel dominant to color up well, and this would not happen with Demasoni.

How about Demasoni, Zebras and Socolofi?

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have 14 Demasoni, and I love them. I have an active tank anyways with Perlmutts, Metriaclima "Msobo", and Afra Cobue, but the Dems add a whole other level of activity. Plus their blue really contrasts nicely with the yellow of my Msobo females (1m/6f, plus 6 1"+ fry). I thought long and hard about whether I wanted to add Demasoni to my tank, and I'm glad I got them. They always come up to the glass when I come up to the tank, even when it's not feeding time. A few of them are always watching the dog when he's in the room. I think they would bite him if they could.

I forgot to say that it's a 75gl tank. And I wouldn't really recommend just Dems and Afra Cobue. While they seem to be ignoring each other, and my dominant Afra Cobue stays colored up, the color contrast isn't there as the females tend to be on the grey side.

·
Registered
6 Posts
kasey06 said:
From reading a lot of posts this seems to be a favorite. I was wondering what it is about this fish that so many people love?
I looked into getting them because they were one of the fish in the "Dream Aquarium" screensaver I downloaded. Although they are just as beautiful, the screensaver didn't come close to getting their personalities right. They are some real tough S.O.B.'s. I was a beginner at the time and I really bit off more then I could chew with these little buggers. I don't know if anyone has ever tested their testosterone levels, but it has to be off the charts. Watching the people at the pet store try to catch them is almost worth it in itself. They are extremely fast and seem to be more intelligent then most other aquarium fish, if that is possible. They are well worth every penny. (I got lucky last month and the Pet Smart in my neighborhood lost the price on their tank so they sold them to me for the price of mixed African cichlids which was 2.99 a piece! I bought all 13)

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I don't think they are as evil as portrayed unless they are kept in poor conditions (from the Demasoni point of view). If you keep them in a large enough group and in the appropriate sized tank, they are great. You can't beat the color, females are just as colorful as males and I like small fish. Love them!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts