Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, it's been a long while since I have been here to read and post. Everything was going great so no need really :). But then my heater fried my tank somehow. Just came home and everything was dead plants included. 2 baby mainganos survived the destruction.

Now I have decided to do a complete overhaul on the tank new stand, pumps pumping the whole works, it's a 36" 40gallon. I was thinking about doing a demasoni species tank.

My question is how many, I was thinking 12 minimum.
Also is there any other fish I could add, even if it's a small school of danios. Anything to swim in the upper regions of the tank??

·
Registered
8 Posts
defenitly 12 minimum, better off 15+.

Danios would be ok but prepare for them to get chased and harassed by the demasoni.

make sure to have plenty of rocks and hidy holes for them

phil

·
Super Moderator
40,893 Posts
12 is ideal, but you don't want it to fall below 12. The demasoni will use all levels of the tank so no need for a top species. You could add a trio of labs if you want a dash of another color.

I have had this stocking and found the 36" tank not really ideal for mbuna. It had to be watched and tweaked (remove fish) just a little too often to make it an enjoyable tank. But if you are motivated it can be done.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have tons of rock more than I can fit in the tank at once..lol been collecting for years.

I was thinking probably 15 demasoni to start.. I have been doing a lot of reading on dither fish and thought it would add a dash of color and help keep the demasonis happy, and hopefully help with spawning. The demasonis are kinda hard to come by locally so was hopping to breed some to add to the local market...

As for the 36 inch tank being a hassle to stock I know all about that have had mbuna in there for 3 years now, and it is a pain. Was going great till the heater malfunction. I have delt with kenyi and yellow labs in there for the first year or so. So thinking the demasoni couldn't be much harder than the aggressive kenyi.

Was looking maybe for a red or yellow dither fish. And ideas on that subject would be great :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hey i had one other question for you guys... i have always been told u dont want your rocks touching or leaning on the glass. But i have seen quite a few aquariums out there were the rocks are stacked up against the back glass, not all the way up but usually halfway. what is the truth is it ok to have rocks touching the glass or not??

·
Registered
176 Posts
orion_2280 said:
hey i had one other question for you guys... i have always been told u dont want your rocks touching or leaning on the glass. But i have seen quite a few aquariums out there were the rocks are stacked up against the back glass, not all the way up but usually halfway. what is the truth is it ok to have rocks touching the glass or not??
*** been keeping fish for about 12 years now and all my tanks have rocks touching the glass and going 2/3 of the way up and never even had a scratch on my glass so i dont see it being a problem unless you dont make secure rock formations and they fall

·
Super Moderator
40,893 Posts
There is nothing wrong with it. I just don't do it for ease of maintenance. The point where the rocks touch is more difficult to clean.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No I was just gonna think about stacking them along the back to give me more space in the front of the tank. purely for aesthetic reasons. I don't have a lot of real estate to work with so gonna try a few ideas out before I get the tank stocked.

I always make sure my rock work is stable, if it rocks back and forth at all when I touch it, I rearrange.

Still no ideas on smaller other fish to put in there huh??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts