Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a group of 20 demasoni locally and I see several have stripes that merge. Is this common with demasoni? I saw the adults these fish came from and their striping was perfect. Is this typical of demasoni or do these fish just have bad genetics?

Nick

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
When we first got demasoni, many of the wild fish had bad striping, and we basically had to line breed to get good striping. Even in good strains you will get individuals with bad stripes. Typically I leave them in the colony, unless they become the dominant male. If they are females, I just let them release in the tanks.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Fogelhund said:
When we first got demasoni, many of the wild fish had bad striping, and we basically had to line breed to get good striping. Even in good strains you will get individuals with bad stripes. Typically I leave them in the colony, unless they become the dominant male. If they are females, I just let them release in the tanks.
So is that to say that female dems with bad striping are more prone to having fry with the same issue than a female with good striping?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have noticed the very same thing on a couple of the newest of the ones that I have gotten. Wasn't sure if it was something they do while maturing or if that was the way it was gonna stay.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
It does not go away.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
bmweiler09 said:
Fogelhund said:
So is that to say that female dems with bad striping are more prone to having fry with the same issue than a female with good striping?
That would be my inclination yes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts