Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a bunch of demasoni to add to my tank. They're an 1" - 1 1/4" long ad all are showing colour except for 2. 2 look like a light bluish-silver. Is this normal? Will they develop colour as they grow? One of them I see faint stripes and the other I don't see stripes at all.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Mine still have periods of looking "pale," and I've had them for a couple months now. It's usually when there's a bit of aggression going on with the 4-5 fully colored guys (gals?). Could be your lighting, too. So, yes, it's pretty normal... But with absolutely no stripes? See if you can at least find a hint of stripes on that one.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't noticed any aggression from the group yet. I checked over the 2 pale ones and I am able to notice faint traces of stripes.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Are the "stripes" vertical? If so they are barring. Barring can be a sign of stress, either through aggression and sometimes breeding etc. They will appear and disappear with the fishes stress level. I've never kept any dems before but they sound pretty small to me and should color up more as they mature. I wouldn't sweat it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Correction of what I just said: Dems should have vertical stripping though. That is part of their color pattern.

But the color issue I wouldnt worry about to much seeing as they are pretty young.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Demasoni have the blue/black barring from the time they are free-swimming and don't really change. If there is no fighting and they are acting normally, they may be hybrids or another species altogether.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are 100% demasonis. They look like mini me's of the adult female I have. I haven't seen any fighting with them but that could happen when the lights gone out. I do have plenty of caves and hiding spots for them as well.
I won't sweat it and just wait it out.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
mokujin22 said:
Demasoni have the blue/black barring from the time they are free-swimming and don't really change. If there is no fighting and they are acting normally, they may be hybrids or another species altogether.
Sort of. Their color is known to go pale, especially after moving.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have 16 of them and i do notice more aggression somedays when the lights go out or the room lights are off so they cant see you sitting there. My small ones also get pale then color back upafter a bit. Seems pretty normal especially among sub-dominants.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Sub-dominant fish can pretty much turn off their stripes. Keep your eye on those to ensure they are not getting picked on or injured.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've been watching them more closely though out the day and haven't noticed any injuries, nipped fins etc...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts