Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am breeding Ps. Demasoni and a small percentage of the fry got irregular barring such as connected bars, breaking bars, etc.

My breeding group all has perfect barring and the dominant male and the females come from separate bloodlines. I was wondering whether irregular barring indicate that the fish genetic pool is not rich enough. Does irregular barring occur in wild Demasoni? Is there some way to genetically isolate this problem or does this occur every now and then?

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
It does occur in the wild, but many fishkeepers prefer straight, regular bars. I've read about breeders who cull the poorly barred fry for the first 3 batches, and then any female who continues to produce irregular bars is removed from the breeding group. I don't know why it's the female and not the male (LOL), but that's the information that was provided.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I had a group of F1s and had a female with blended barring that I had to remove from the breeding group. I still had a few fry born with blended bars from the remaining 20 adults, though!

I culled the ones with irregular barring, but didn't cull any of my breeders. They were nice F1s... :(

·
Registered
593 Posts
I think they all look cool! Out of 20 fry, maybe 2-3 have some irregularities. I don't cull any of them. I have dealt my fry out twice and neither of the people picking up the fish wanted me to leave out the ones with irregular bars.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cichlidaholic did the blended barring female produce more irregular barred fry compared to the other females?

I got perfect barred females and male producing 2-3 irregular barred fry in most spawns. Does any1 know if you can somehow get only perfect barred fry? I suppose no-one ever conducted some sort of a genetic explanation to this phenomenon.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I didn't use her for breeding, Sprungster. I moved her into my "island of misfit toys" tank!

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Sprungster said:
I got perfect barred females and male producing 2-3 irregular barred fry in most spawns. Does any1 know if you can somehow get only perfect barred fry? I suppose no-one ever conducted some sort of a genetic explanation to this phenomenon.
In the wild, straight even bars are a weakly selected for trait. This means that the females tend to go for males that have this trait, though not above other pressures. If we want to reflect the natural pressures, then we would cull the imperfect barred where the amount of imperfection was greater than we want to tolerate. If you do not, then you propagate that trait and it will appear more and more often in that bloodline. The reason you are getting some uneven bars is very likely because you outcrossed to an unrelated bloodline. That added more potential that you now deal with.

It's up to you and your buyers how much of a tolerance you will have for some unevenness or blending of bars.

I personally see Demasoni as a rapidly breeding fish and so would cull even slight imperfections.
Some loss of numbers does not seem to be a bad thing when you can produce as many Dems as one can.

Hope that helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts