Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd share some pics of my Demasoni Fry. I came home last night and there were 5 swimming in the tank, so I stripped mom and removed 2 more from her. They all seem to be doing great. I have another female holding in the breeding net pictured and I will probably strip her tonight or ina couple days at the latest. So anyway, I got 7 fry from the mom (who is about 2" long). I didn't think she could hold that many...oh well. I have a 10 gallon tank set up for now and I have a 29 I will be setting up this weekend. Enjoy the pics...

This is the holding mom (below). I can see the eyes of the fish in her mouth and am planning on stripping her soon.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is the Fry Tank. Once they get bigger, they will move into the 29G Grow Out.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
make sure the ph is correct, i just moved all my older fry from a 20long to a 29 and thinking i knew everything added maybe 2 or 3 more scoop fulls of crushed coral then the 20long, thinking that the same amount(in the 20long) + 2 or 3 more scoop fulls were enough. well the next morning(did it at night) when i went to check on them/feed i noticed 3 dead and 1 almost dead... i was like wtf, so i tested the water and the ph was really low :( so i added like 5 more pounds of crushed coral and it fixed it, but lesson learned.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Aren't they the cutest little ones? Just tiny miniatures of the parents!

I've had 1 1/2 inch females hold as many as 18, and a 2 inch female held 23 one time!

Get ready...They are quite prolific!

Kim

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stripped the other mom and she had 9 fry. So I've got 16 to work with. I hope most of them survive. :D A big thumbs up to Joea and Fogelhund for the excellent video on stripping. :thumb:

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just thought I'd give an update. Stripped my 3rd female tonight and got 4 fry out of her. That puts me at a total of 20 fry this month. I can account for 18 of them, 2 are MIA. I saved 2 from the filter and put stocking over the intake to keep them out. The 2 MIA could be anywhere, no dead bodies yet so who knows.

The oldest fry look like miniature demasonis now. They are about 1/2" long and you can clearly see the stripes on them. I've got a 29G set up and waiting for them to get big enough to move into it.

Anyone know how long it'll take them to hit the 1" mark?

:fish:

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Joea.

BTW, after stripping mom and having her recovering in the breeder net, I found another fry swimming in there. I was pretty sure she wasn't holding any more cuz I tried her several times, but I guess one snuck in there. You never know.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Have a quick question for you. Did you just purchase the 12 demasoni and just let whatever ratio of male to female it was go? I am thinking of purchasing 12 myself but I'm not sure if I will have to worry about the ratio or if it will be ok with that many in a 54g.

·
Registered
256 Posts
kim?!?! WTF/??. hows that even possible. i have 20dems...what if some females are holding :eek: :eek: :( :eek: :-?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
nicholas316, you've got to keep in mind that these are dwarf mbuna, so they are going to reach sexual maturity at a smaller size than regular mbuna.

bccromer, if you have space, I would go with 15-18 to start with. You can later remove excess males, and this will allow you a couple of losses. Unfortunately, it happens sometimes. I started out with 23 in a 40G tank. I culled one due to irregular barring, 2 vanished off the face of the earth, and out of the 20 I had left, there were only 5 males, so I was extremely lucky.

But, when I bought those 23, I had a larger tank (55G) to move them to if they all survived! I wouldn't have tried housing that many in the 40G long term.

Kim

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sorry bccromer, didn't see your question. Yes, I bought the 12 and kept them. I'm still not sure how many females I have...I can positively say I have 3 females and 2 males...the others are up in the air still.

I currently have 3 more females holding. The 20 fry are all still alive and doing well. I'll post more pics soon.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just thought I'd give another update. I have around 18-20 fry still going strong (they move alot...it's hard to count). The 3 holding moms have mouthfuls and are ready..I will be stripping them this week...after I transfer the fry from the breeder to the 30g growout. Below are some pics of the fry as they have been developing.

3-11-08

3-22-08

3-31-08

4-6-08

I'll update with some more recent pics in the next few days. These guys are a lot of fun. I'm setting up fry piles in the main tank because I currently have a yellow lab and another dem holding and no more room in the breeder right now.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
You asked about growth rate.
I stripped a female demasoni near the end of Dec. 2007 and now 4 months later, the fry are 1.5 to 2 inches long.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another update. I moved my 20 (confirmed) original fry to the 30g grow out tank. I stripped my 3 holding females and got 20 more fry. I accidentally killed 1, so I have 19 new fry in the 10g breeder tank. All the fish seem to be doing well. I haven't found any dead newbies, so my setup must be working ok.

:fish: :fish: :fish:

·
Registered
17 Posts
i have the conditions for it... I have 6 demasoni, the are all about 6-8 months old, but they never breed, ? I just love your pictures, looks like a little nemo from that movie :D swiming in the open water :)

1 - 20 of 138 Posts