Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Been breeding demasoni successfully for about a year now and the last batch of fry half have died. The only thing I did different was I moved the mum out the nursing tank the day after she spat and put the fry straight into the grow out tank the following day after that. Normally I would leave the mum and fry together for about 3/4 days as she normally takes them back into her mouth a few times befire she gives them up. Did it as I needed the nursing tank for another holding female. Tested the water on the grow out tank and ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrates 20 which is all normal. Only thing I can say is I added the fry about a week ago and the ones that died where still tiny and very very thin so clearly not eating. I do water changes every 2/3 days and fed twice a day. Is it possible to get a weak batch? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,714 Posts
Were they alone in the grow-out tank? Did the grow-out tank have water from the maternity tank? Were test results between the two tanks the same?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The maternity tank is always set up and running. It had around 20 other fry that were about 3/4 weeks older than them in it. Water condition was all fine and still is

·
Super Moderator
40,714 Posts
It is not whether the parameters are each tank are the same, the question is whether the parameters of each tank were an exact match.

For some fry (not usually demasoni) you actually ONLY use water from the adult tank in the fry tank. You might even use adult water as the "new" water for water changes in the fry tank.

I usually would not mix newly spit fry with older fry for the first 7 days at least.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thank you. I have two more holding so I will change tack on these. I'll do water changes using water from the adult tank. I also will not mix any fry until they are bigger. I normally do wait sometimes we'll over week. This particular batch are still sitting on the bottom whilst the older ones in the grow out are about 1cm. Think I have mixed them way to early

1 - 5 of 5 Posts