Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm pretty excited about my 14 Demasoni arriving in the mail today. They all made it too.

I was wondering, will they all color up better over time? Some of them are lighter. There are a couple that have really deep blue and black though.

Is there a difference in coloration of males and females?

Thanks.

-pdub

·
Registered
463 Posts
I recently added 18 demasoni to a small species tank in prep for a 125 mixed mbuna tank.

In the group I got, I see 4 or 5 males right off the bat that display some bright colors and intense black bars. Then, there's also about 4 or 5 that are more faded with less distinct barring.

All the fish are about 1 in. long. Don't sweat it. I think a range of color intensity is expected. The more subdued fish are likely females or males that are subdominant.

At least the case with most mbuna, and I'm suspecting demasoni as well, the coloring will intensify as they grow, but there will probably always be some variation in color intensity, especially when you have a group of 14 or more! And that's OK.

Hope you enjoy 'em! So far, I see a nipped fin or two, but no major injuries (knock on wood). I took the advice of other posters and got a large group to spread aggression. Looks like you did too!

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Do you guys know where Demasoni is in the profile section? I'd like to see some pics - they sound really cool.

Thanks,
Russ

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
Malawi mbuna Pseudotropheus. Yes, they will gain color over the days and weeks you have them in your tank and they settle. I don't notice much variation in the color intensity of mine except pecking order. 1/3 most dominant fish are most brilliant, 1/2 of the remainder are middle pecking order fish and "regular" Demasoni color (still brilliant), and a couple least dominant fish keep their colors as neutral as possible. But they can all turn it on or off at will.

·
Registered
9,061 Posts
I don't think it is unusual for them to have faded colors when they are shipped, shipping is stressful. Give them a week and see how they look then.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts