Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I began with 15 demasoni and 6 yellow labs. 1 subdominant male was killed, and I yellow lab perished. However, my problem is that now i have 8-10 juvies from 2 inches to 0.5 inch thriving in my tank. I'm concerned because they just keep on spawning, and I have another 2-3 females holding. They seem to breed like rabbits. I also have 11 demasoni in a 10 gal tank from a female I stripped a 4 months ago. Will my tank naturally regulate itself. Will the young fry just be eaten at this point. Should I start removing juvies from the 55 gal tank? Joea & Kim, what should I do?

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Let the Mom's spit in the tank. If you are already doing this and all the young you refer to are survivor fry, then add a group of Synodontis Lucipinnis or Multipunctatus to the tank and remove some of the smaller rocks (to minimize fry hiding places).

They will keep breeding.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Yeah, honestly set yourself up with a fry tank and grow out tank.
Sounds like you are doing the right thing so reward yourself with a little extra cash that these guys will make for you. The hobby/obsession will be paying for itself then :thumb:

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
When I got ready to sell my group of demasoni and removed all the rock to catch them all, I counted 75 and then stopped counting! :eek:

I had allowed them to spit in the main tank for months, and many survived.

I never once witnessed the adults eating the fry, but it probably happened.

If I remember correctly, I had 3 grow out tanks set up for them for quite some time.

With proper feedings and water changes, you can grow them out quite quickly. I never had any problem selling off groups of 12 one inch demasoni at a time...I priced them at 12 for $50.

Kim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.