Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Over the past 3 days I pulled 9 rejected demasoni out of my tank today I took the rock out because the water was cloudy and found5-7 dead demasoni (didn't die from bad water conditions considering the demasoni were the only fish I owned that died and I have perfect water till these little buggers killed each other lol) but anyway I found out why lol.... A 1in female is holding if they are fertile eggs I'll be surprised all my demasoni are only around 1-1.25 in. All I know is they better stop killing each other I got about 13/27 left aggression has seemed to die down now also.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
In your scenario I would look for the aggressor and remove him. You seem to be losing too many, too fast, too young.

·
Registered
256 Posts
That does sound excessive, especially at that size. How big is your tank? How big is that single rock...is there any other decor?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a bunch of rocks I'd say about 200 pounds of it and from what I'm seeing they all bash on each other pretty much evenly no single highly aggressive fish

·
Registered
256 Posts
Yeah, with that much rock I would think there would be ample escape routes for hounded fish. 5-7 dead fish under one rock just doesn't sound right, even for dems. But then I've never experienced the problems with mine that they're reputed for. Any chance the rocks may have shifted and trapped those fish under there?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
AlphaWild said:
Yeah, with that much rock I would think there would be ample escape routes for hounded fish. 5-7 dead fish under one rock just doesn't sound right, even for dems. But then I've never experienced the problems with mine that they're reputed for. Any chance the rocks may have shifted and trapped those fish under there?
I've only had mine set up for about a month, I have a 75G with a good 100-150lbs of rock and I haven't seen anything like that either. My dems are about the same size too. Actually surprised that there is very little "sustained" aggression. I do have my rocks kind of stacked so there are numerous tunnels/caves for them to get lost in though too. I'm pretty sure out of the 11 (had 12, but lost one the other day to my own stupidity) in there, there are at least 3 or 4 males (haven't sexed them yet). Going to pick up a few more this weekend.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nah couldn't have it was nearly flat on the gravel all of them showed bit marks and weren't crushed and my demasoni were angels for the first month also but now not so much knew it would happen with these guys just didn't think this fast

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I have had them for about 7 months now and never had a death from aggression. I havent lost a fish yet. I have heard stories of this type of thing but it was usually a hyper dominant male situation.

Maybe try watching them after you turns the light out and see what they are doing then. Try and make sure they dont know you are there. Sounds weird but they do act differently it seems when they know someone is there as compared to alone. :-? Might spot your problem maker there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
First a disclaimer: The fact that something happened to someone else on the interwebz does not mean that it's what's happening to your fish or that (more importantly) you should medicate preemptively because something happened to someone on the interwebz. That's generally a bad idea, as many will jump all over and tell you.

However, something very similar happened to me when I got my demasoni. Having done my homework, I got 20 and was prepared for the aggression. Like you, I had a ton of rock and hiding places in my sufficiently large, well maintained, good water quality tank. The fish seemed healthy and were acquired from a reputable seller.

I lost about 10 fish over the first 6 weeks of owning the fish. Like you, I had 1-2 fish hold over that same time period (one of whom died).

I looked for harassed and hiding fish to try to pull them out and save them. Never saw any warning signs. The dead fish I pulled from the tank didn't look nipped, weren't missing fins, etc.

I assumed that's just what demasoni do due to aggression, but long story short, they were sick, bloat I assume, given the stress of shipping and settling in. I started using Met as a prophylactic for the other fish and after losing a couple more that were clearly already in trouble, my demasoni have been fine ever since (and breeding like rabbits).

Back to the disclaimer, I'm not suggesting to medicate fish that might be healthy just cause maybe they're sick. But are they interested in food? If you fast them a day or two are they reallyreally interested in food?

I just wanted to mention my experience; I still feel bad that I assumed demasoni aggression was at fault when I could have saved my fish.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They all eat perfectly but when I pulled my fish out hey did have nipped fins missing scales ect. But as you said I've never seen one in a corner mine must hide in the rocks and get beat up and die there but so far so good since I rearranged the rocks and everything. Btw just one question can I add dems to I guess I'd call it my existing colony might be getting 300 dollars and my beat is coming up so I might order more oh and another one. Do demasoni tend to kill off he ones with the bad genes? I noticed all the ones I was gonna take out because of Barring are now in my sewer lol

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
If aggression has died down, I'd try to wait for fry.

I'd still watch for many, many hours and see if you can ID one or two that are a little more aggressive and remove them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
II25tolifeII said:
They all eat perfectly but when I pulled my fish out hey did have nipped fins missing scales ect. But as you said I've never seen one in a corner mine must hide in the rocks and get beat up and die there but so far so good since I rearranged the rocks and everything.
Just to follow up with shyfish (we are married) we basically never saw any fish at the surface, etc either. All our fish that died basically died deep inside rock. We never saw any that looked like they had lethal injuries, sure a nipped fin here or there but nothing serious. We definitely did have fish that weren't eating - they would spit out their food. This is probably the key sign of bloat, but it was easy to miss with 20+ fish in the tank and most of them eating fine. That is what I would really recommend based on our experience watch them very closely and if they aren't acting quite right consider disease rather than aggression as the reason for death.

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Another clarification. The injuries you are looking for with bloat are not lethal injuries. There are enough nips and missing scales to cause stress. The stress is what makes the fish susceptible to the bloat organisms.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I started with a relatively low number of 8. I use to brag on here that I never had an issue. Well I built my colony to 16 over a few years and at almost 3 years all were healthy and happy.

Long story short I quit bragging..... I had one male controlling the right side and another the left side and boom after 3 years of no problems the war began. I am now down to 3 and am growing out about 40. I will get rid of the 2 boss males and add about 20-25 of my growouts and hopefully have a nice colony again.

During this war I was working a lot and came home dailey to feed them and retrieve the dead. I noticed several other fish beat up in the corners but under the cirumstances had to split and couldn't remedy the problem until the war was already over.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi everyone i am about to set up my first mbuna aquarium. i am particularly keen to base it on 7-8 pseudotropheus demosoni. The tank is 150 uk gallons and would like to get any feedback on which other fish would best be suited to go in with them. I will be stocking about 40 fish at juvenile size at the same time initially.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll watch for sins of bloat and also Steve your goig to want to buy atleast 15 you'll be taking sub doms out

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Turns out they have bloat i guess today I noticed their stomachs are huge today but I have nothing to treat it and no one around me has anything what could I possibly do

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I also stripped about 14 fry from the holding dem at only 1 in I noticed their babies are small also stripped a yellowlab I'm at 14 dem 30 afra chimate norths and 40+ yellowlab fry

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
You could start with treating your water with some Epsom salt (1tbs per 5 gal) added over a couple hours to help with any intestinal blockages and see if that help. Also I wouldnt feed them for a while til you get things under control since that would be just adding to the problem.

If possible get some metrodizanole (API General Cure, Pure Metro, or even Jungle labs parasite clear) or some clout and treat if you sure its bloat.

Edit: Unless they havent been eating for a day or two then I wouldnt think bloat. Seen yesterday you posted they all eat great so I wouldnt think its bloat, since actual bloating is one of the last symptoms you will see. I go with epsom salt for now and then try general clear or jungle labs, etc... Clout works good but is a very aggessive med in my eyes so that is a last resort med for me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I will re-enforce benjammin"s suggestion. If your sure its Bloat then start treating immediately. There is a good article in the library section under " Health ". Also as DJRansome suggested earlier, the aggression between the Dems could have triggered the Bloat in the 1st place. I would definately bite the bullet and remove the most obvious aggressor.
One more thought..You mentioned earlier you were having a hard time finding any abnormal aggessor. I have noticed that my dominate males seem to go into a hyper mode after a water change. I cant expain it but for 30 minutes to an hour after a water change these guys become like Mike Tyson on amphetamines. I have recently started turning the lights off afterwards to calm them down. I dont know if this is common with all demasoni but it may help you identify your bullies.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts