Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got done cycling my 20 gallon tank and have added a very small pair of cichlids. It is 1 yellow lab and 1 demasoni. So far I have not noticed any aggression towards each other. Do you think they will be fine together if they are the only 2 in the tank, I've heard Demasoni's do better in groups but figured the Yellow Lab would be a good one for compatibility. Would I be ok with just these 2, should I add another pair? I also plan on upgrading to atleast a 55G at some point within the next year. Sorry for the bad picture it was taken with my phone.

Thanks,

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I wouldn't add anything. It's not the ideal tank size for them. If anything, I'd return them and get something more appropriate for that size tank.

·
Registered
162 Posts
GTZ said:
I wouldn't add anything. It's not the ideal tank size for them. If anything, I'd return them and get something more appropriate for that size tank.
+1
Another option would be to start working on upgrading to the 55 gallon tank now. Then you can add 5 or 6 more yellow labs and about 15 more demasoni so you end up with a good ration of each. :thumb:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, well I wont be upgrading to a 55G or bigger till September which is when I'll be moving. I guess my real question was will 1 demasoni be fine with 1 yellow lab? I understand 20 gallons isnt the IDEAL tank size but with only 2 of them and demasoni's being on the small size I dont think it will be that big of a deal especially since it is not their permanent home.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
LanceN34 said:
Ok, well I wont be upgrading to a 55G or bigger till September which is when I'll be moving. I guess my real question was will 1 demasoni be fine with 1 yellow lab? I understand 20 gallons isnt the IDEAL tank size but with only 2 of them and demasoni's being on the small size I dont think it will be that big of a deal especially since it is not their permanent home.
If you like the fish keep them. One of them may kill the other by September, but then again, maybe not.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Getting a larger tank is always the only option in my opinion. Of coarse thats likely why I am out of room and always in trouble. Trouble is always more fun anyway right.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am def getting a larger tank 55G minimum. I would do it now but do not want to transport a larger tank in 5 months when I move.

·
Registered
554 Posts
in that case, enjoy them. I hope they look pretty and swim around nicely. 20 gallons is small (well, relatively), as you know, but since they're moving in the near future, why not?

The dem might kill the lab. The lab might be a mutt and kill the dem. This might happen in a 100 gallon tank as well.

In that same breath, why not have fish that will be happy and well adjusted? These two will probably be cramped and hide a lot. In a 20 gallon, some shellies, or a nice gourami with a shoal of tetras could look really nice.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I have used a 20g to grow out juvie dems and labs together. I kept alot in there, but they never got bigger than 1.25" before selling them though. I lost a couple along the way. I think you'll be OK for 5 months, but it is a tad risky, and adding more will increase that risk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts