Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone. i have a demasoni tank, its loaded with rocks to suit the demas need for rocky habitat. what i see is that the demasonis just occupy the bottom part of the tank, that's where the rocks are. i wanted some activity on the middle to top part of the tank. i've read that rainbowfish are active swimmers and with brilliant colors. so will they work fine? any thought on this? thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
Once the demasoni spawn they will use the entire tank in their chasing and wooing. I have never tried rainbows, but some buenos aires tetras only lasted about a year and never looked happy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tried buenos aires too and they disappeared one by one. i just thought rainbows are faster and more hardy. they may not be very happy to be with demons though

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've kept "common" ornate rainbows and rainbow hybrids as target fish (they show up at our local auctions from time to time). Not sure about demasoni, but they're great at taking a whomping. Had them in tight quarters with some very aggressive male peacocks in species tanks and they serve their purpose well in taking heat off the females.

Again not sure about demasoni, but I'd give it a shot. Just start with a couple of the $2.00 ornates before you throw in some of the more fancy/pricey species like bosemani, turquoise or red irians. Definitely stay away from the dwarfs or the threadfins.

Good luck.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i threw in 6 boesemanis, they were greeted with some fin nipping from the demons. but they seem to ignore the rainbows now. hope it stays this way. here they are, some giant danios are with them too

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've used rainbow fish with my peacocks...never with mbuna though. What I found was that some types of rainbows seemed to hit their radar for aggression...for example, I couldn't put my boesemani in with the german red peacocks but I could put in my turquoise. They would ignore the turquoise, but pick on the boesemani - however, while the boesemani would ignore them, the turquoise would frequently display and chase as though they were females he might be able to mate with.

Mostly I was posting to say that I would love to hear how this works out for you, as I know the demasoni are a lot more aggressive then my peacocks. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well i hope it works out. im observing them still, if their fins get worse then ill immediately take em out, i dont want em torn by the demons. demasoni sticks at the bottom though and only go up during feeding while the rainbows roam the middle and upper part of the tank, so it kinda separates them. well see

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did forget to mention that mine are older then yours appear to be - they are about two years old. Yours look a bit like mine when I first got them. Good luck!

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
M. boesmani are one of the weaker rainbows, so it isn't a surprise when they struggle. M. parkinsoni are one of the better types if you can get them. M. lacustris work as well.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Nice BG/rockwork :thumb:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fogelhund said:
M. boesmani are one of the weaker rainbows, so it isn't a surprise when they struggle. M. parkinsoni are one of the better types if you can get them. M. lacustris work as well.
Oh poor boesmanis. other available rainbows here are red, sepik and banded only. what dya think of those?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ya, the red rainbow is G. Incisus. i should have chosen em over the boesemanis. i took em out of the demasoni tank already

1 - 14 of 14 Posts