Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the past, we have kept a couple of different colonies of demasoni to maturity and bred them with success. In our experience, the vast majority of their aggression was conspecifically oriented. I believe that's a relatively excepted conclusion. Could anyone speak to their own experience in keeping demasoni with other blue-barred or otherwise barred mbuna though? We have successfully kept demasoni with Hara before on a long-term basis. I believe we have had them in the same setup with M. greshakei for a time as well. Both instances would have been in an appropriately scaped 6'x18" tank. Both of those fish seem reasonably dissimilar to demasoni when compared with many of the other barred/blue mbuna too.

We currently have a 6 foot tank housing a group of chailosi (among other mbuna) that was shipped to us by mistake. We kept them because they weren't in the way, but the ultimate goal for the tank was eventually demasoni and possibly Chilumba luwino reef as well - no chailosi. Plus, I hadn't ever kept chailosi, and as it turns out they are a pretty cool fish. :D We have been taking our time, keeping an eye out for the opportunity to acquire the fish we want, and basically letting the chailosi chill for the moment. That said, we have an opportunity to get around 20 dems soon, and we would like to eventually work them into the larger tank as planned. I'm trying to decide if I should make a swap for the chailosi or attempt to introduce them together - obviously while resetting territories, etc. The chailosi seem to be on the feisty side. They are around 4"+ and breeding. The dems will be 1-2" fry, but I plan to put some size on them in quarantine before turning them loose in the mahem of the display tank. Also, we'd really like to get some chilumba eventually. Any experiences would be interesting to hear. We know blue-barred fish tend to hate other blue-barred fish in general. Just curious of your successes and/or failures.

TLDR: Has anyone kept demasoni with either Chilumba luwino reef or Chailosi? Any other experience with dems and other barred fish in a 72"x18" footprint tank?

·
Super Moderator
40,529 Posts
I would not keep them with other similar blue barred fish due to hybrid concerns. I also kept them with hara for 2 years and the hara did not color as well with the demasoni as they did in a species tank or with yellow labs. Further the hara females did better in a tank without the demasoni.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.