Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone keepds demasoni and Jurupari together? I would love to add a couple of these to sift through my sand :D

·
Registered
14,646 Posts
Personally, I really don't think the Ps. demasoni would even acknowledge the S. jurupari, however their boisterous nature could cause unnecessary stress to them that could cause long term health issues.

There's other factors to consider. These two species have very different requirements in both water chemistry and biotope. You wouldn't be able to meet the needs of one, without sacrificing the needs of the other.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I see, will do, my jurupari will have to sit in my community tank :D

I'm currently looking/researching good bottom-dwelling fish to keep with my labs and dems. Something that might mix up the sand/scavenge food. My labs and dems, won't touch food it it makes it all the way to the bottom of the tank... And I cant get them to come up and get floating food either... So it's slow sinking pellets, and if it makes it to the sand, it stays there, and has to be fished out.

Anyone got ideas? I want something that wont harass holding mothers. I've heard that clown loaches will get a holding mother backed into a corner, and force her to spit so they can eat it... Wan't to avoid that if at all possible.

Thanks

·
Registered
593 Posts
CoryWM said:
I see, will do, my jurupari will have to sit in my community tank :D

I'm currently looking/researching good bottom-dwelling fish to keep with my labs and dems. Something that might mix up the sand/scavenge food. My labs and dems, won't touch food it it makes it all the way to the bottom of the tank... And I cant get them to come up and get floating food either... So it's slow sinking pellets, and if it makes it to the sand, it stays there, and has to be fished out.

Anyone got ideas? I want something that wont harass holding mothers. I've heard that clown loaches will get a holding mother backed into a corner, and force her to spit so they can eat it... Wan't to avoid that if at all possible.

Thanks
How old/big are your demasoni and labs and what size tank? How much and how often are you feeding? I have never had mbuna (including labs and demasoni) that ignore food. The demasoni may stick close to the rocks but should come out and get food especially after you step away from the tank after feeding. Syno catfish would be good bottom dwellers with your mbuna, but again that depends on the size of your tank.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Currently they're in 100g. 5'x18 inch. In the next month or two(depending on time) They'll be moving into a 8'Lx2'Wx18"H tank 180g tank with sump etc.

I don't think I am really over feeding. They'll finish anything that floats infront of them, within 30 seconds or so. but 80% of the food that hits the floor, will not be eaten. I can feed again, 2 minutes later, and they'll eat food that floats infront of them again. End up cleaning up what hits the ground. So i've only been feeding them once a day. trying to force them to eat what hits the ground also.

Anything floating, some spirulina pellets, cichlid gold etc. They won't touch. I havent starved them yet to force them to eat it. If they won't eat one day, i usually switch back to the NLS sinking pellets.

I'm sure half the problem is just me spoiling them, by not starving them till they're encouraged to eat whatever I give them. Ideally. I'd like to be able to feed them a little of each food, to diversify their diet.

PS. I have 1.5 inch up to 3 inch dems labs etc.

I'm thinking I wouldn't mind some loaches. Looking at kuli loaches, dwarf loaches etc. My Ph is only 7.6 at the moment... Deciding whether i'm gonna raise it up, and go with something different for bottom dwellers, or leave it where it is, and have more options available.

·
Registered
593 Posts
CoryWM said:
Currently they're in 100g. 5'x18 inch. In the next month or two(depending on time) They'll be moving into a 8'Lx2'Wx18"H tank 180g tank with sump etc.

I don't think I am really over feeding. They'll finish anything that floats infront of them, within 30 seconds or so. but 80% of the food that hits the floor, will not be eaten. I can feed again, 2 minutes later, and they'll eat food that floats infront of them again. End up cleaning up what hits the ground. So i've only been feeding them once a day. trying to force them to eat what hits the ground also.

Anything floating, some spirulina pellets, cichlid gold etc. They won't touch. I havent starved them yet to force them to eat it. If they won't eat one day, i usually switch back to the NLS sinking pellets.

I'm sure half the problem is just me spoiling them, by not starving them till they're encouraged to eat whatever I give them. Ideally. I'd like to be able to feed them a little of each food, to diversify their diet.

PS. I have 1.5 inch up to 3 inch dems labs etc.

I'm thinking I wouldn't mind some loaches. Looking at kuli loaches, dwarf loaches etc. My Ph is only 7.6 at the moment... Deciding whether i'm gonna raise it up, and go with something different for bottom dwellers, or leave it where it is, and have more options available.
Okay - that's interesting. NLS pellets are a great slow sinking pellet. If your fish are eating and look healthy then I wouldn't worry about it. You don't need to starve them, just feed them 2-3 times a day. In your tank you could have a great group of synodontis catfish - maybe 4-8 depending on which ones you choose. I have 1 nigritas and 4 atterimus in my 55 malawi tank. They are lively and entertaining and mix well with the malawi cichlids.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts