Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice on what I can do to build a successful colony outside of getting extra males out? I have 20 coming in along with 12 Metriaclima Msobo and 12 Albino Socolofi. All less than 2 inches that's why I order so many of the last two. It's a standard 4 foot 75 that they are going in. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm by no means experienced but 44 mbuna seems like quite a lot for a 4ft 75 US gallon tank?

I thought somewhere 18-24 would be about right - I only say this because my tank is very similar sized? Obviously people tend to overbuy juves to weed out any additional males and to allow for casualties but... Hey, I'm probably wrong! Theres plenty of experienced keeps on here I'm sure they'll be along to help you.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't plan on keeping them all. They are indexable juvies so it just makes sense to buy way more than what I need than just remove extra males and hope for a few extra females since all three species have colored females. That's the thought process behind it anyway.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I would shoot for 15 demasoni and 1m:5f of the msobo and socolofi as the fish mature and you can ID the genders.

Lots of rocks and quick attention to any fish that lurk under the surface to avoid bloat.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DJRansome said:
I would shoot for 15 demasoni and 1m:5f of the msobo and socolofi as the fish mature and you can ID the genders.

Lots of rocks and quick attention to any fish that lurk under the surface to avoid bloat.
Sorry for the ignorance but what do you mean "lurk under the surface"?

·
Registered
449 Posts
nolajeff said:
DJRansome said:

Stressed fish hanging out at the waters surface.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Old Newbie said:
nolajeff said:
DJRansome said:

Stressed fish hanging out at the waters surface.
Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts