Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i got home tonight with the plan of moving my Demansoni to a 10 gal tank (and then eventually back to the lfs) so that I could move some other smaller fish into my 30-gal. My Demansoni is 2-2.25 inches and shares his home with only one other fish, a kribensis that is probably 1.5 in. Anyway, all of a sudden i notice that his jaw looks full....hmm. Is she (didn't know for sure) holding? I tried to feed her and for the first time that I can remember she wouldn't eat. I didn't think these fish did this unless there was a possibility that they could be fertilized. I'm assuming the Kribensis wouldn't be able to, but what do i know. Can someone help me out and educate my ignorance. A photo of the "holding" Demansoni is below.

http://s1131.photobucket.com/albums/m55 ... C00545.jpg

Also, she's been doing this weird thing were she bumps the gravel with her mouth (which is typical) but afterwords it looks like she's chewing. Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Yeah she is holding eggs. They will hold unfertilized eggs for a little while but usually will spit them if they arent within a week. Either way if she is the only Dem in the tank they are hybrids (Obviously) so I would either strip the eggs and let the fish eat them or at the very least inform the LFS that they are not pure when you bring her there.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts