Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assumed I wouldnt have any problems with these two - but apparently the Dem has other plans. I had a Dem and a Clown Loach in a tank before and never had any problems with them; unfortunately I dont have those guys anymore! I put the Loach in several weeks before, so he had time to get adjusted before I put the Dem in. I watched them for a while, when the Loach occasionally came out, and they never had any problems. Then yesterday I noticed the Loach was swimming at the top of the tank, which was odd because hes never out at that time of day. ...and he stayed there. Later I got him to move and he went back down to his hiding spot, but as soon as he got there, the Dem ran him off.

I know their territorial and the Dem picked his spot, but it wasnt the in the same place as the Loach. Now hes taking over all the dark spots in the tank and running the Loach out of everything. I took the Dem out for a bit last night and moved things around in the tank; then put the Loach back in by himself for a while. 20 minutes later, the Dem found him and moved him back out. ..Im assuming theres not a whole lot I can do about this? lol The problem is, I dont know ANYONE who wants this loach - so Im kinda stuck with him even though hes stressing. Not sure what to do with him.

Like I said, I never had a problem with the first set I had - so I assumed these two fish would be ok as well. is there any over cichlid that I could put in with the Dem? I was told when I got the Dem that I couldn't put just 2 in there, but that I would need 1, or in the range of 5-6?

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
What are the dimensions of the tank? Usually I have to permanently remove any victim fish.

·
Registered
639 Posts
That loach must be pretty small? If your loach were to tag that dem with its subocular spine it would probably put an end to the dems bullying. My loaches don't take any **** from their cichlid tank mates. Maybe if you had put a group of dems in with the loach the dems would focus their aggression towards each other and leave the loach alone so it can do its job...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts