Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am setting up my 210 with twin megaflow i read that each megaflow can handle 600 gph, so im trying to get close to that. should i get just one pump and split, or two pumps, one for each megaflow return
is getting the flow close to drain gph good or should i go over and dial it back?
i have pumps in mind just trying to figure out the best way to go

thnks for all your help

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Either one or two will work, but probably cheaper just to go with one, that's what I do. I'd get one that's rated to handle a bit above the 1200 gph at whatever the head height happens to be. Don't go over too much or you'll just be wasting electricity by going with a larger pump.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
We have a 210 with the two megaflows. We first used a Mag18 and it was way short so we added a Mag7 we had lying around to that. Not enough flow to satisify those drains. Had both ballvalves more than half way closed. We swapped them out for a Danner Hy-Drive 3200. It is one of their newer line pumps and energy effecient.

My next choice would have been a Mag24 but I got a great deal on the Hy-Drive.

How are you planning to plumb the drains since that is a major consideration when determining flow back to the sump.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was looking at the rio 32 high flow 1300 gph at 6' and 115 watt and good price. so far the best deal i have found for the power and price.

*** heard they are a bit loud, can anybody comment on their experience with these

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have the megaflow kits, if that what you mean by plumb the drains.
i have seen the hy-drive found the 3200 hy-drive for $159 wich is double price of the rio 32hf. is the 3200 hy-drive to much flow? it says 2050 gph at 5'

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
You can get about 900 gph thru each of those megaflow durso's. I use a 1-1/4" clear vinyl tube under the bulkhead that has a barb ftg that slips into a 1-1/2"Ø 90° pvc sweep. from there it is reduced down to 1-1/4" pvc to the sump. Quiet and flows very well. The clear vinyl acts as a sight glass and lets me see when air is being ingested when balancing the system. :wink:

Not sure you get what is advertised with pumps. Plus you lose some gph with the plumbing. I come out of the pump with 1-1/2" flexible tubing then convert to 1-1/2" PVC. I tee off (4) 3/4" returns with two of them going to the weirs and pointing towards the side panels and forward, the other two going along side the weirs and pointing forward. All four use 3/4" loc line wyes. I also tee off the pvc very close to the pump and divert about 200 gph into a refugium in the sump so in the end I am pushing around 1800 gph up to the DT.

A mag24 should work but I have not tried one in this tank so I cannot guess to how well it would work out but I am pretty certain that it would :thumb:

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I was thinking mag24 also, and all good points by fox. By the time you consider gph loss from plumbing, and manufacturer exaggerations on pump output, and that the drains may very well handle more than 600gph, a mag 24 might be just about perfect. Mine push about 1200 gph to a height of 7'.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks prov and fox for the advice. i went ahead and got the hy 3200. i should not be dissappointed. thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts