Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:x i have a 65 gallon tall and i i let it cycle for 3 weeks and tested it and the water was perfect so i added 6 rainbows to start off the next morning the were all dead. i re tested and the water was still good i returned the fish and did a 60% water change and the replacements also died, with in 3 hours. my plecos were fine but every other fish that hit the tank they died. not just rainbows but geophagus and danios.... the water was also tested at the pet store and i was told it was the best sample he had in the last year. there was no visible disease and no chemicals were used to clean out the tank either. so does anyone have any idea what could have caused this???? nitrates nitrites and ammonia were all at zero
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
How did you cycle it? If you mean you ran it with water for 3 weeks without adding any food source (ammonia or fish) then you did not cycle it.

If nitrates were 0, then the tank was not cycled. A cycled tank will almost always have some nitrates.

Burt :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
Nitrates should not be zero.

But an uncycled tank would not kill fish so fast. No chemicals on your hands while you worked on the tank? (Hand lotions, bug sprays etc...)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,820 Posts
I agree it sounds more like some kind of pollutant in the tank as opposed to an issue with cycling...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
Are you on city water? Did you treat the new water with a chlorine/chloramine remover?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
If lymburner took the sample to the fish store they wouldve tested for chlorine and chloramine wouldnt they? Especially if he said his fish were dying. I have no idea as to why they were dying so fast unless he never tested for the chlorine/chloramine and you have a heavy amount in there... but still... 3 hours is crazy! Something in there is stressing them out.

How did you cycle your tank? We all need to know that. There needs to be fish in there to cycle it, unless you were adding ammonia on its own.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
kam said:
If lymburner took the sample to the fish store they wouldve tested for chlorine and chloramine wouldnt they?
Perhaps, but I've never seen a LFS test for chlorine/chloramine. I don't think it's the "norm". Not to say it doesn't happen...... I've only seen them test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and if asked to pH. Ususally they'll just ask if you used water conditioner IME.

You'd probably have better luck getting your water tested for chlorine at a pool shop. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
483 Posts
this sounds like chlorine to me....the only time *** seen fish die so quickly was when i added fish to a tank that i did not treat with stresscoat/similar products

tap water will kill fish quickly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,170 Posts
Most tapwater contanimants (chlorine etc) will show in the ammonia test.

Ask a silly question but was the heater switched on?
Could it of failed at some point!
What was your temp at wen you added fish?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,519 Posts
I suspect lymburner did a fishless cycle with the wrong ammonia. If so, there's now detergent in the tank. Many water changes will be needed to flush it out of the tank. All filter media will need to be replaced and the filter also will need to be flushed with fresh water.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
130 Posts
Shwaine said:
I suspect lymburner did a fishless cycle with the wrong ammonia. If so, there's now detergent in the tank. Many water changes will be needed to flush it out of the tank. All filter media will need to be replaced and the filter also will need to be flushed with fresh water.
I dont think that he has said what kind of a cycle he did.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,519 Posts
kam said:
Shwaine said:
I suspect lymburner did a fishless cycle with the wrong ammonia. If so, there's now detergent in the tank. Many water changes will be needed to flush it out of the tank. All filter media will need to be replaced and the filter also will need to be flushed with fresh water.
I dont think that he has said what kind of a cycle he did.
That's why I said that "I suspect". It's purely supposition until lymburner posts more information, but would adequately explain both the deaths and his claim to have cycled the tank for 3 weeks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
246 Posts
that is wear when i cicle a tank
i fill up my tank with water,add some clorine and heavy metal remover,some built up bacteria power.
let it run for 3 days,and put the fish in it
i have put like10 fish the same day in a 100 galons tank and they will be all rigth.

maybe he set it up for salt water and add fresh watter fish. :D

did any body at home use some air freshener,or raid ant and roach lattly, that may fall a little bit in to tank.

what do you do for living?
you are not a mecanic,painter,garthener?

i am a tree man and i deal with chainsaw all day,i have to put oil and gas on them.
and when i go to eat i wash my hands good,but when i mess with the tanks it has to be like very,very,very,very good.

deap cleanning ,brush fingernails depply,grase remover,soap,and rinse them very good.
check if the heater is not making electricity on water too.
and good luck :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Reviving this post. I havent had an aquarium since this one. I did a fishless cycle but i used seeded sponge from another aquarium. I dont have Chlorine in my water since im on a well. No body but me go into my room and i never put my hand in if i handled chemicals. I thought maybe there was a lack of O2 but i added an airpump and had the same results. Heater was running fine. Dont remember the temps but they were in the green on the thermo. Still cant figure out how it happened. As of a few months ago i now have 3 aquariums running and have not had that problem since. This was the only time in 8 years at that house that i had any problems like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
what is the PH of the tank? The only thing that will kill a fish in that amount of time is a poison of some sort.. whether it be PH poisoning... chemical poisoning.. also, what temperature are y ou keeping it at? Going down in temperature a few degrees can kill sometimes too. You have plecos living in the tank?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
214 Posts
I once had well water and the levels of copper and zinc were high and also fluctuated from tim eto time. Perhaps theres something with your well water. You should be able to get some information about the aquifer that you are near from the local authorities that cover that. Perhaps its something like that in the well water that was causing it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
222 Posts
Yes an uncycle tank will not have any ammonia, nitrites or nitrites, so will not kill your fish.

And with a small number of fish, the ammonia will gradually get higher, once again, not killing your fish.

Definately poison... :-?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
Dj823cichild said:
smellsfishy1 said:
non_compliance said:
what is the PH of the tank? The only thing that will kill a fish in that amount of time is a poison of some sort.. whether it be PH poisoning...
What is pH poisoning?
:lol:
Maybe that's not the "technical" term for it, but you can take a fish out of a 8.8PH tank and drop him into a 6.5PH tank, and you will see what I call "PH poisoning". Fish will swim loop-d-loops for about 30 seconds, lay on the bottom, and be dead.

If the fish he is adding were in a tank with a high PH, and his tank is very acidic, it would easily kill the fish in a few hours. Same wtih temperature. It is a shock to their system.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top