Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out of town for a few days so that instead of changing my water every 7-10 days on my 125 gallon, it was 16 days. All fish looked great upon my return except my two male demasonis. The female demasonis were fine.

Did my usual water change/cleaning and everyone has continued to do well in my mixed tank but I lost both male demasonis within three days. Both looked fine...no marks on scales, no bloat, no sign of disease, fins intact. Both were floating listlessly near the top before they died.

I presume it was a water quality issue; however, I cannot understand why just those two would die? They were not anywhere near the smallest or largest in the tank and the females of the species were fine.

Any clues?!

·
Super Moderator
40,485 Posts
Were they eating during the 3 days? How old are they?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Are you positive those are the only 2 demasoni males in the tank?

Perhaps because they were not fed a couple days while you were gone, the activity and aggression rose in your tank and your tank boss took out his competition. You should see more damage on the fish if this is the case, but it might of just been relentless chasing.

Strange indeed,

·
Registered
843 Posts
It's possible the two males worked on each other the whole time you were gone (lack of food like previously suggested). This :oops: happens to me often. I go away for a weekend, and someone's on the floor of the tank half-eaten when I come back (more common with my SA cichlids though). The monsters get hungry and take out the weakest.

Sure they were both male? I know the sexes can look similar. . .

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had an automatic feeder that was feeding them 2x/day. Pretty sure they were both males...the 2rd that I bought with them has not colored as deeply so I presume its a she?

Yeah, weirdest thing, not a single sign of injury on either of them and they weren't mature so I can't see them taking each other out. They had not yet demonstrated any aggression against each other or any other fish in the tank.

Thanks for suggestions. I will probably never know what happened. :( :-?

·
Super Moderator
40,485 Posts
The question was, since they lived for 3 days after your return and before the water change...did you see those two eat each of the 3 days?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Initially on return, one was while the other was not. The one who wasn't went first followed quickly by the 2nd.

·
Super Moderator
40,485 Posts
I'd vote for bloat. Keep an eye out to ensure every fish eats daily and you don't see white/clear thready feces. It could take a month before you see another case...so watch for at least that long.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
DJRansome said:
I'd vote for bloat. Keep an eye out to ensure every fish eats daily and you don't see white/clear thready feces. It could take a month before you see another case...so watch for at least that long.
And the winner is...bloat.

Have one of my first fish, named after the mayor across the street's nosy wife. Poor thing is huge.

Have read that Malawi bloat MAY be contagious? This is my first episode ever with it. No mistaking or missing bloat in this big orange Mbuna. :(

Depending on the outcome and if it winds up getting all my babies, I might consider a new tank setup with Fronts or Tropheus.

DANG!!

·
Super Moderator
40,485 Posts
Treat the tank with metronidazole and all will be well. Yes, once you have had a death it can sweep through the tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts