Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at a loss here. I've had success with around 15 broods so have some idea what I'm doing, but this has me stumped. Yesterday I set up my 2.5 gallon to recieve new fry. I've used it many times before, the water I used came directly from the larger tank that the holding females were in, I use a small in-tank filter that I keep running all the time in a grow-out tank. I did have to replace my old heater because of a recall, but the new heater was holding at the same temp as the tank I had the females in.

I stripped 20 Nyererei, 60 Acei, and 20 Yellow Labs and put them in that small tank. That was around 5PM yesterday. When I came out this morning every single fry was dead.

I can only think of 2 possibilities for cause. First, I didn't not rinse the new heater before putting it in the tank. Second, I had used the tank as a hospital for an Acei with a cloudy eye. Had done a weeklong treatment with Melafix and Pimafix. The sick fish returned to health and I cleaned the tank and filter with water only.

Could either of these have caused the death of the fry in just a few hours? Or does someone suspect something else. I have other fish holding and certainly don't want to lose them as well.

I would appreciate any insight.

Thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My thought is some sort of contaminant as well. I suppose there is a chance I had something on my hands, but my general practice is to wash my hands in clear water, no soap, before messing with the fish. Perhaps I didn't wash as good as usual. Earlier in the day I was using a weak muriatic acid solution to clean a tank I'm resealing, but was using gloves and washed my hands.

My main concern is for future broods. How should I clean that tank, filter, and heater to make sure I have no contaminants remaining? Vinegar, perhaps?

·
Registered
705 Posts
no cat in your house? *** found little wet paw prints on my stands occasionally in the morning. guess im not the only one who likes fish :p. also maybe consider going a bit bigger for that many fry. i imagine u may have had an ammonia spike when a cpl died and then the rest followed suit as the bacteria didnt consume it. *** had it happen to me a few times. sucks the big one. either way gl in finding ur cause. i look forward to seeing the results :popcorn:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts