Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had this Labidochromis Caeruleus for quite some time now and I got him at a very well trusted lfs.

He is considerably dark for a Lab and i just wanted to be sure this was normal.....
He is also the alpha male lab of the tank if this makes any difference.

Anyone else's lab this dark?

Any thoughts are great! :thumb:

·
Registered
801 Posts
He is also the alpha male lab of the tank if this makes any difference.
Bit strange since he is the dominant male. Is he swimming okay and is he healthy? The only reason I ask is that the dominant male lab in my last aquarium became ill, I think he got a bit greedy and ate to much food, he became a bit sluggish and his colouration was dark. I treated him with some Waterlife Sterazin and after a week he was fine.

I had a sub-dominant male lab develop the faded colouration. (some people joke that the labs look like they have a beard :lol: ) Here are few pics for you to compare from my setup from a few years ago, the sub dominant male was about two inches, and the dominant male was about 4 inches.

Subdominant male

Dominant male

·
Registered
977 Posts
it's called bearding for just that reason. Both my males are like that much of the time. Neither is completely dominant. They each control their part of the tank.

·
Registered
554 Posts
off topic, sorry - I just love that picture with the lab moving sand!

·
Registered
977 Posts
thanks. You get some great captures when you spend enough time in front of the tank with a camera. One of my faves....

sorry for the hijack

·
Registered
554 Posts
:popcorn:

I love the little eye. Playing peek-a-boo with the cameraman, it seems :lol:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hahahaha I also love that little eye :lol:
Yes he is acting and swimming normal.....whatever normal is for him!
There is one other male lab in the tank but they dont bother each other much.

He looks very much like the pics you posted so I guess he's just dark!
Thanks for the reply!

Keep those lab pics coming I enjoy them! :popcorn:
:fish:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.