Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pardon me if this is something that's been discussed, I'm new here. I'm getting back into the fish hobby and have some medium to large peacocks and haps. I did not want to start small this time so I'm stocking up on matures. Years ago I would I would feed Dainichi products e.g. Color fx, Veggie fx, as well as NLS.

I have read good things about this brand Northfin. I also see NLS has changed ingredient slightly in regards to preservation for the most part. I'm debating on whether it's even worth it to revisit Dainichi with these other good foods on the market. Dainichi is pricey but does work well and contribute to beautiful color but no where near as tastey as NLS was. That's important to me too.

Has anyone been using Dainichi?

I ordered a small package of the Veggie FX to see if there's changes and sure enough the ingredients have changed with them as well. The ingredients still look good just not sure about a couple things. Before they listed Cyclop-eeze & Naturose which is now changed to some degree. What's on the package is different than their website or what the vendors are listing. They just haven't updated is all.

I'm curious of this Northfin. It looks similar to NLS and actually Dainichi as well with the added clay that Dainichi has been using.

I had stopped using NLS about a year before I got out of the hobby because fish seemed to lack the color they had. I switched to the Dainichi mixing 50/50 of the FX blends and within a month the blues, even reds, and yellows would crank up and pop like crazy. I got more than expected. It may have been in part the NLS batch I had was low in spirulina because never had a issue for previous years with the fish looking flat. Also had great success with NLS.

I was debating on revisiting NLS or trying the Northfin. I'm curious of you folks thoughts since I've been out of the loop for a bit. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Either NLS or Northfin. I never used Dainichi even when it first came out. I find water quality and stocking has more impact on color than food.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Of course water condition and ideal tank mates have a big impact on fish appearance for sure. Fortunately I learned all that many years ago but thanks for the tip. Once you have some experience and that part is behind you there's a ton to play with when it comes to food and achieving certain colors. No food is the ultimate all-in-one...well maybe one.

I know there's a lot of foods that will suffice just fine. Me being out of the hobby for a number of years having to travel, I thought I'd ask.. Especially since the two I used the most made some changes in recipe plus there's one I never heard of.

I did get some Northfin Cichlid in yesterday and was surprised the powerful smell. I thought the fish would go crazy over it. I put some in the tank with large Peacocks I've had for a month and not one fish would eat it. It might be a learning curve for them if I stick with this one. The Dainichi is a no go this time. I'm not concerned about the last 5% of color.. among a couple other reasons.

I'll see how this NF goes after a week. But the Dainichi was awesome food when I used it before. I was in a position to give it a try and was pleasantly surprised what it did on a few mature fish that was on NLS, a food that is also great. Blue was a color that made the most change. Likely, more Spirulina plus not cooked. Reds the second most improvement.

Anyway, if for some odd reason they won't take to this Northfin, I'm going back to NLS and support my LFS.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts