Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up a 90 gallon tank 48 X 18 footprint in a couple days and wanting to keep either a trio or 6 of these 1m/2f or 1m/5f or so. I know some are not keen on mixing of the lakes, but how would these go along with the geophagus species? By the research i've done it seems that the moorii like to go around and eat what's left from fish that stir up the sand (hince the Geo suggestion). What is your thoughts on this?

Or give some ideals of what to put with them.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
I know some are not keen on mixing of the lakes, but how would these go along with the geophagus species?
Or continents for that matter.

Why not Yellow Labs to offset the blue - I have not done it but have seen some pictures and you tube videos - looks awesome.

I personally would go for something different - fish that like the rocks or the top of the tank rather than load up on fish that want to be in the same area of the tank digging through the sand and competing.

·
Registered
478 Posts
if you want 6 i'd think two could be males. Mine eat New Life jumbo fish formula pellets and love it, plus occassionally river shrimp. They don't get massive like fronts so you could probably keep a trio of peacocks and some labs in there (maybe a reddish peacock) or maybe some Protomelas steveni (taiwan reef)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, let's scratch the Geo ideal then. I'm fixing to set up a larger tank and wanting yellow labs in there.....is there something else that might go along with the moorii? Another mbuna that is not quite as aggressive and can be bought in maybe a school of 15 or so that would spread out aggression to not bother the moorii as much. Like maybe some Rusty's or maybe another lab type? Sorry, just throwing out ideals.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have an Aulonocara stuartgranti and Crytocara moorii that get along very well, both are larger and far more relaxed than the spunky mbuna tankmates. The Blue dolphin also keeps my over aggressive sp.44 in check quite nicely, the moorii is becoming the king of the tank as he gets bigger.
He is very mild mannered but can hold his own, and seems to have a remarkable memory... maybe a story for later. Awesome fish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts