Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, regular reader, but not so regular contributor here.

I have a colony of Cyprichromis leptosoma malasa. I keep these with a colony of X. spilopterus kipili and 4 gold occies (3m:1f). They all live in a 4x18x18. pH is around 7.8.

The cyps are thriving. I've lost a couple of female along the way and I'm down to 6m:4f. Sometimes the colours of the males are drab.

I'm wondering if it is best to keep cyps on their own in a tank of this size or whether there are tank mates suitable, other the ones I have or maybe I need to rearrange things.

I'd appreciate your input.

Bruce

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
The tankmates are suitable. What do you believe the issue is? I would increase the number of Cyps, either obtain more, or raise some of the fry.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Agree nothing wrong with the set up sounds like a very nice community. But if you want to breed the Cyps they do breed and show most colour away from other cichlids/fish. You can even leave them in the tank to spit that way as Cyps tend not to eat newly realsed Cyp young.
Its not that suprising realy Cyps in the wild are in shoals of hundreds or even thousands and rairly see other cichlids. Its testiment to how hardy and adaptable they are that they can live and breed in small numbers with other cichlids in tanks at all, let alone do it well.

You kind of have a choice a tank with a bit of breeding interest or a breeding tank. They are two different things.

All the best James

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just re-read my post. It should read the cyps aren't thriving.....sorry. But I think your comments help anyway.

They've bred in the past, but not for a few months. Over this period I've probably lost 4 females. I don't believe it to be wasting. The females get marginally thin and then drop off the perch. I've had wasting in another cyp colony (mpimbwe) and they really got thin and their backs bowed....it's pretty horrible to watch.

Bruce

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
I'd either pick up some metronidazole and sprinkle it on the food (along with a bit of tank water) or I'd pick up some Jungle antiparasitic pellets and feed that. (Don't give them anything else, otherwise will not eat the medicated food.)

It could be internal parasites.

It could also be 'wasting' or 'skinny' disease, which would indicate treating the entire tank. It could be fish tuberculosis...

Anytime you can get them to ingest meds, that's the way to go.

It does sound like a disease problem rather than just an agression prob but those at the bottom of the pecking order tend to show it most.

Sorry I can be no more specific I can not Id the disease from here.

All the best James

1 - 7 of 7 Posts