Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I decided to look into the tang section and must say i had to say something. :lol:
WOW pretty cool... :thumb: I rarely post and this is def cool to watch! :popcorn: Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hey Johnathan,

Very cool!

I'm fairly new to cyps, and I just wait till they spit the fry and then collect them for the grow-out tank. Why do you strip them and not simply wait?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
That's great. About 11 fry per female. I have been breeding cyps for three years and average 6-7 fry per female. You are almost double that.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There are several reasons i strip the females:

-This is a breeding tank with other species like Altolamprologus, so i can't wait for the females to spit them out, because of the risk that most of them will not survive & get eaten.

-In the wild, there are thousands of females in a cyprichromis colony, in this colony i have "only" 15, i usually strip the females after 8-12 days & put the larvae in an "incubator" (egg tumbler), so the females could recover quickly & hold again as soon as possible. I usually don't wait for fry (as seen in the movie).

There have been cases when i stripped 15-23 larvae, it's pretty common in an experienced & well established cyprichromis group.

Johnathan.

·
Registered
219 Posts
OK, that makes sense.

In my case, I'm not primarily interested in breeding. It's just what happens when I'm not looking :)

I also have calvus in the tank, but they are still young. By the time they show an interest in the fry I will probably have lost interested, so that should work out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts