A Cyphotilapia gibberosa Samazi blue spawn by PISCES Farm.

Another terrific video from the folks at PISCES Farm. This time they've captured a pair of Cyphotilapia gibberosa in the act. I've seen many cichlid videos, but I've never seen a Cyphotilapia spawning video capture so much detail. I'm also not too familiar with their spawning process, but I did notice that the female picks up the eggs before the male has had a chance to fertilize them. Normally substrate spawners will do their dance, spinning around in circles. The female drops an egg, the male comes along to fertilize it and then the females circles back around to pick it up. I don't know if it's just inexperience on the part of the female or if it's normal, and the male will fertilize the eggs in her mouth at a later time.

Anyway, if you'd like to read more about Cyphotilapia gibberosa and their reproductive process, make sure to take a look at Razzo's C. gibberosa Mikula forum topic, Tau's first spawns. In his topic you'll find many great photos (like the one pictured below) and even a video documenting fry development.

cyphotilapia gibberosa

Day 13. Photo by Razzo (Russ F.)​