Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking to obtain a group of cyprichromis micros for awhile now but never see them for sale anywhere except from some of the sponsors, and I am not willing to pay that much for them nor am I interested in shipping since the shipping charges are so great and they are so fragile to begin with I do not want to put them through that extra stress.

Does anybody now of anyone who has some micros in the Pennsylvania or Ohio area?? *** found many cyp variants including unitas, mbitas, tricolors, and kitumbas but these are all leptosoma strains and I was looking for something a little different. If I cant find micros I would like to see some pavos or zonatus.

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
Try a Want Ad in the Trading Post. :thumb:

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Also, check out your local/regional clubs- you might get lucky and find a hobby breeder.

But, rare species do come with a bigger price tag. I know one of the site sponsors has some beautiful micros for a good price- I just don't see you getting them for a whole lot less, even when you figure in shipping. The folks who make a business out of shipping live fish know what they are doing, and oftentimes it's much better for the fish than inexpert handling and a long car ride. I've had WC cyps shipped- and they came through perfectly fine.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, *** checked out local clubs and hobbiest most of the people around me seem to be into livebearers and non Tangs. Which sponser are you refering too triscuit is it by any chance RSC??

·
Registered
159 Posts
Obviously the reviews section is the main place for getting and reporting info on retailers, but I can add that I got mine shipped air freight by a site sponsor--Tom--and didn't lose any in the process. He imported the ones I ordered from German breeders. And you're right to notice that RSC has them now, too--they didn't a year or so ago. I've had fish shipped from Doug without losses, too. I've also seen groups for sale (though not for cheap) on Aquabid. I think that if you find ones you really like somewhere, stay in good communication with the seller and you shouldn't have to fear losing them from shipping stress. (Maybe confirm size--the ones I got must have been at least 1 1/2".) It is a lot to pony up for 10 of them or so, but hopefully we'll be able to enjoy them for years.

My females have held a couple of times, and I wish I had the time, space, and experience to breed and raise them--they're really nice fish. No regrets here about the $ I shelled out.

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
You need to get a good sized group, these are not cheap fish anywhere... so in the end the shipping cost is not all that big of a deal.

Cyprichromis are sensitive fish. I got a group of Cyprichromis, 4 died in the bag, and had major losses the first 48 hours. I e-mailed the seller to ask for advice (who supposedly had a guarantee) and he would not reply to my e-mails.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.