Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 35G with Tangs and I was wanting to fill the upper water area with fish that school and will provide a 'dithering affect' for the other fish.

This is a unique tang tank as it is heavily planted.

It currently has
4 N. Helianthus
4 Ink Fin Calvus
4 Julidochromis regani (Kipili)
1 Syno Petricola

(all juvies, ~1" ish)

I have a bunch of shells tossed around the bottom, a small rock pile, and a TON of plant coverage.

The Helianthus have been pretty cool so far, no major signs of aggression, the Calvus are often out and the Julis come out to feed etc but tend to hang out near their rock.

Because the tank is so planted though most of the fish are hanging out in the plants & shells in their groups etc.. so there isn't a lot of activity to be seen in the tank.

I'd like to add a group of 10 1" Cyps to the tank, mainly for aesthetics but also to draw the other fish out a bit more.

Because the tank is heavily planted I do frequent water changes, so the waters quite clean and fresh.

However the tank is open with no cover and I've read they can be jumpy...

I know this tank is slightly unique because the plant coverage offers many different territories and hiding spaces for the fish so I was wondering what people thought of this mix in this size tank.

I am not concerned about breeding and will not be trying to remove any fry for growing etc, what happens in the tank, stays in the tank.

So what do you think?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I think you're going to have plenty of challenges ahead with the stock that you have. In 6 feet, maybe a decent chance, but not in what looks like 36". 3 species competing for limited territory and the juli's will get quite large. And with no cover on the tank, you will lose cyps, no doubt. You're liable to lose some of the others too. I know juli's will go up the corner and out if chased. These guys are 1" now and will do fine at that size, but things will change when they reach adulthood. If it were me, I wouldn't add cyps to this tank. I like a challenge, but I'd say this one has much less than a 50/50 chance for long term success as it is.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
I think if you can maintain a pair of the helianthus at one end, and a pair of Julidochromis at the other, you will have accomplished something.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well Brett that's pretty much how its shaping out already.. each on either end.

If I notice heavy aggresion ill definitely remove fish. I suspect that Ill have to get those Helianthus out of there eventually if what I've read happens..

So the cyps won't have a dither affect on the Helianthus? I thought that's why people kept them together usually?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
klumsyninja said:
So the cyps won't have a dither affect on the Helianthus? I thought that's why people kept them together usually?
Sure, in a much bigger tank, with room to escape, and a lid... but not in a 35 gallon.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
If helianthus are like other brichardi types, they don't need dithers. The juli's and calvus could benefit IME. But again, I wouldn't use cyps. Consider removing the helianthus, and replacing some of the plants with rocks, and adding a non-cichlid dither. Or keep the helianthus and calvus and rehome the kipili.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I'd say four foot length min. for cyps - even a 55 gallon might work. Not a three foot tank unless just a grow out tank for juveniles.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay well Cyps are out then, Ill keep you all posted on the fishes behaviour imput as the tank matures. Thanks for your help and imput.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry just a quick correction, I think that the Juli's are actually 'ORNATUS' not Regani.

When you said they'd be big I was put back and remembered I bought the smaller variant. I remember the common name being on the tank as well and it was called a 'golden Juli' or a 'yellow juli'. He had about 5 different types Juli's and I bought the smaller type I think.

I realize this has no bearing on the Cyps but I thought I should still mention it.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
First off- it is a beautiful tank- what are you using for light?

Secondly- I think you will be much happier if you pull the helianthus. Put them in their own tank. In my experience, brichardi complex fish kill at night. Sure- some fin nipping and posturing while I was watching, but I never saw homicidal behavior before finding a body. And with that plant cover, I'm not convinced you'll be able to see what is really going on.

It'll be a great tank for the julies and altos. You could even throw some shellies in there to liven it up.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Although better that they're ornatus, I'd still agree with triscuit and pull the helianthus. I think it's a matter of when you have to, not if. Consider l. brevis if you're going to add shellies. Small territory requirements.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya.... its too bad, they're such beautiful lively fish, I don't have room to re-house em so Ill have to either return em or sell em.

I have a double strip of T4HO's on there for light, 9hr cycle.

I had my eyes on Occies only I'm concerned about the digging nature of shellies.

I still have a lone temporalis shell... but he's an insane violent tyrant! He lives alone in a 8g until I can figure out what to do with him. If he wasn't so violent id put him back in there and find him some females.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.