Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a holding female for awhile, and this morning I noticed she had spit a couple and is still holding more. They are Cyprichromis leptosoma Katete Jumbo and this is the first spawn in this tank. I figured I'd never see any fry because I have Julies and calvus in this tank as well, but now that I look at the size of the fry (over 1/2" including tails) and consider that the Julies and calvus are still small, I wonder if these little guys might have a chance. The biggest calvus is just under 2".

Right now the fry are hanging out together near the top of the water column and are happily eating crushed flake. I've just started a batch of brine shrimp for them. If they stay at the top for awhile, I'm sure their chances will be better.

What do you think?

Thanks

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you have a grow-out tank, I'd pull them out. Why leave them at risk? For some species, there's some value in leaving fry with their parents, out of the theory that doing so imprints good parental care behaviors on them, and perhaps strengthens the pair bond between parents.

But cyps don't engage in any such behavior. Once the fry are released, they're gone.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The other Cyprichromis in the tank will end up eating the fry too. *** seen my Cyps predate on their own kind and it's the reason why I have a 10 gallon growout tank.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
If you are serious about raising fry, then pull them out.
If you don't care either way, just leave them but I'd put their chances at less than 10%.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

I put them in a breeder net for now in the main tank. That will do until I get a grow-out tank set up. Hopefully I'll get a few more by then.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Mine last a few hours in the tank. If I see them I put them in a breeder net.

I actually had one put himself in a breeder net the other day. :eek:

I had a net in the tank just to corral some java fernlets floating loose and keep them from the filter inlets. Edge of the net must have been near water level because next thing I know there is a cyp fry in there. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.