Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed my "hara" female holding yesterday. This is my first mouthbrooder spawning. Can anyone give me some advice on how to proceed?

Will

·
Registered
68 Posts
if shes still holding in a week and a half look into her mouth and check if you see small fry if so net her and move her into a seperate tank where you may strip her of the fry at that point put her back and hope she carries again in a month or so

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
I would wait longer to strip...about 18 days. Or just let her spit naturally in the fry tank, on average 28 days.

One advantage of waiting 18 days is it gives you two weeks to get a new filter established (by running it on the old tank) and avoid the need to cycle your fry tank. Not to mention, the fry will be mature and not need a tumbler.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
DJRansome said:
I would wait longer to strip...about 18 days. Or just let her spit naturally in the fry tank, on average 28 days.

One advantage of waiting 18 days is it gives you two weeks to get a new filter established (by running it on the old tank) and avoid the need to cycle your fry tank. Not to mention, the fry will be mature and not need a tumbler.
+1

I waited till 21 days and it seem about perfect for my Demansoni. She wasnt very thin and was healthy so thought a few more days wouldnt hurt after stipping my peacock at 16 days and still have egg sac on them.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I just separate her until about day 18, or I may just wait until I see free swimming fry. Once I see the first couple, I strip the mother and return her to the main tank. Have fun, these fry are amazing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the advice. I hope she continues to hold. I have made a tumbler after watching/reading several dozen how to videos/threads. I dont intend to use it but if something goes wrong this time I may try to tumble the eggs next time... we will see how it goes. Thanks again all.

Will

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
RRasco said:
I just separate her until about day 18, or I may just wait until I see free swimming fry. Once I see the first couple, I strip the mother and return her to the main tank. Have fun, these fry are amazing.
That's what I've done, lets her eat again a week earlier!
I've caught moms only holding for a day and had them eat the eggs, trying now to let them hold longer before chasing them around the main tank so nobody's time is wasted.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts