Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Administrator
41,992 Posts
Since all mouthbrooders can crossbreed and the closer related fish have higher odds of doing so, many fishkeepers prefer not to house Cynotilapia Afra together.

Some of them also look similar, and similar-looking fish housed together often fight.

·
Administrator
41,992 Posts
With Cynotilapia, m:f ratio matters. So if you get 3 species of Cynotilapia Afra in your 55G, and each group has one male, and each male looks similar to the others, then the 3 males will fight.

There are some fishkeepers who have success with this, but others who have problems. So depends on what odds for success you are comfortable with.

Personally, it really bothers me to watch fish trying to kill each other, so if I can avoid the problem by choosing a different fish, I will, LOL.

(I never intervene and save fry either, but if a hybrid fry survives (and several will), you have to tear down your tank to get it out before IT breeds and you end up with the entire tank suspect.)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.